wee necker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bisto

Need to contact Admin...
had the urge to grind something tonight so got my goggles mask and gloves on and went to work about 6.30.
1.jpg

i had a little bit of an offcut and John had generously sent me a few bits of antler so i decided this would do as my first stick tang effort/attempt.

i started with this
2.jpg

i didnt bother to photo me making this shape,the stick bit was straighter so i bent it in the vice a little.might hold better when i epoxy it in the antler.

then on to the grinding,broke out the rexxon again as i have belts to use up.thought id put a scandi grind on it ,then my hand slipped so it quickly became a convex grind.though it could turn into a sabre grind before i HT it lol.
5-1.jpg

8.jpg

id drilled an 8mm hole in the antler deep enough to take the metal stick and flattened out the face of the antler too,then i cut a little recess/housing for the blade so it wouldnt spin round and a little extra strength.
6.jpg

9-1.jpg

feels really comfortable in my hand,and i made sure the angles were right before placing the blade for comfortable use.
12-1.jpg

then i made the transition from metal to antler a bit smoother,i also ground out a finger grip just before the blade and put in a little half circle.i like doing these as it gives a definite start point for the cutting edge.
13.jpg

then into the vice for a little filework,nothing too fancy just a thumb gripper and a bit of snakeing to the point.
15-1.jpg

so far ive ended up with this little beauty. i might change the angle so the blade continues the curve of the antler rather than go straight out,in other words - drop the point a bit more.
14.jpg

i,ll post a few more pics as i go on. i intend to pin the tang,maybe stainless steel,and put a lanyard hole in the end too,6 mm.

finished the whole lot by 7.10,not that i was rushing ,i just noticed the clock to see if it was too late to go for a swim...it was:doh2:

bisto

Need to contact Admin...
A knife in 40mins? :O

lol im a joiner by trade so making things comes naturally to me.
it aint heat treated yet,but that should take all of about 10 mins.

sheath might take longer....about 20 mins.

IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE :lmao:.............no matter what some might have you believe.
thanks for looking.all comments welcomed.

this is the seventh knife ive made ......ever!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE