web buliding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

can you help

• Total voters

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a better idea than cluttering up the forum with multiple polls and web advice threads and lots of re-directs; I've combined the two threads about your new website so people can see them both at once.

Also, since web building isn't really a 'bushcraft' resource I'm going to move the combined thread into Other Chatter.

Best of luck with the new website :)

cheers,
Toddy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
You've asked for opinions and I thought I'd take a look at your site to see what I thought.

I'm afraid I didn't do much looking because the colour scheme and flashing animations were so garish the whole thing would have just given me a head ache.

I closed the site less than twenty seconds after I opened it.

Bear in mind that I deliberately went to your site with the intention of looking at it and that was my reaction.

Think what someone searching around on the net will do. Do you think they will stay and find out what you have on your site or will they move on too?

There needs to be something that will grab the attention of your viewer in the first few seconds and hold it or they are gone.

It is a very big mistake to believe that flashing lights and scrolling text will do that. Usually they have exactly the opposite effect.

It speaks to me of the sort of site that is going to have pop up ads that I can't get rid of and other such gadgets from the bad old days of internet geekdom.

When I see such sites I usually log out instantly just in case. Very rarely do I find anything worth reading on them so why take the chance?

That is not going to get your message, whatever it is, out there.

Content is King these days on the internet. Plain inter sting text and pictures will create far more traffic than bells and whistles.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
now updated :) :) :) :) :) . now working on conteant :Wow: !!!!!! i will have a min of 1 thing by feb

please post died links :why: :why: :why: :why: :why: :why: :why:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
In this (sad) day & age I would consider taking some of your personal info off the site , eg:-

• Real name
  • Your date of birth
  • Where you live

Sorry, but as a parent I would not want people that I did not know, knowing these details about my kids as it leaves the door open to all sorts of approaches!

But big improvement to date - well done!

Simon

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
In this (sad) day & age I would consider taking some of your personal info off the site , eg:-
  • Real name
  • Your date of birth
  • Where you live
Sorry, but as a parent I would not want people that I did not know, knowing these details about my kids as it leaves the door open to all sorts of approaches!

But big improvement to date - well done!

Simon

whats your excuse :dunno:

Date of Birth:
May 16, 1970 Age:
37 Location:
Lancashire

from http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/member.php?u=6641 :theyareon

and dad dose know
*********************************************************************************************

so what do you spouse :confused:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
whats your excuse :dunno:

Sorry you took it the wrong way - but as you pointed out I'm 37, not 13 (Happy birthday by the way!), and not at risk from some of the more undesirable members of society. As such I do not need an excuse!

Believe me these people do not need much to make an initial contact with young people .... they know your name, which Scout Troop you attend and roughly where you live. They also know what you, your sister, dog and parents look like ... need I say more?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree, and since you are only just 13, (happy birthday btw) and I am technically a responsible adult on this forum, if you don't tidy those details away shortly, I'm going to remove your links.

I'm all for encouraging your development as a bushcrafter and web-builder but you have far too much personal detail exposed.

Please let you mum or dad see this thread and ask just how much detail they are happy for millions of people to view.

Toddy

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
I agree, and since you are only just 13, (happy birthday btw) and I am technically a responsible adult on this forum, if you don't tidy those details away shortly, I'm going to remove your links.

I'm all for encouraging your development as a bushcrafter and web-builder but you have far too much personal detail exposed.

Please let you mum or dad see this thread and ask just how much detail they are happy for millions of people to view.

Toddy

he left it to me on what to do and i hadent decided yet, what to do

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Then may I suggest you remove the fine details of yourself and where you live. They aren't necessary and are only leaving you open to potential trouble, and the fact that they are so prominant concerns the rest of us.

It won't detract from you site, it will make things look a bit more professional and it will certainly leave things a bit more secure.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just looked at your site again, and it really is starting to pull together more clearly. It's a lot more viewer friendly. It'll be interesting to see it develop.

cheers,
Toddy

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
I made a big change in the gallery some time ago :eek: . After dad said that I might have problems when I have a bank account. But I was not shore what I could get away with my details? So me being me I left it and got distracted / forgot (very bad short term memory) also sins mum is not very good with tech (but now thinking about it she properly could have helped :eek: and she said not to but can’t remember :confused: ) and dad is very busy doing jobs, what time I have with him I use with what has my highest priority, which in this case was not that. So I ended up hoping you lot could pinpoint what I should do with what I should do.

By the way you do not need to say or do “if you don't tidy those details away shortly, I'm going to remove your links.” Because I always behave and I try and do what is the best!!!!! This also gets me veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy stressed :eek: and do stupid things!!! So don’t do it please !!!!!

“What’s your excuse” is me in a rush. What I should have said is “why can’t I have the same sort of bits on the net like you” Also “he left it to me on what to do and I hadn’t decided yet, what to do” is another quick post. Which this post is the fall/right one.

:sad6:

Ps I don’t meet people off the net

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Well don't be too sorry, you did what you thought was right. Now, personally I don't see see the harm in having your details on your site if you want them. I think that there is a very large difference between potential harm and the extremely over hyped risk of it. However, this site has to be seen to be taking action to remove the risk hence the comment by Toddy above. I don't think it was a slap over the knuckles for you, just something that BCUK would have to do.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi abushcrafter,

You've made quite a few improvements to your site; it's a lot easier on the eye .

I've got to echo the concerns of others above me - you're providing way too much personal info .

Now the good news . This forum is a community which tries to give a helping hand and the concern and comments about the amount of personal info you've provided is us showing concern for your health and well being.

P.M. sent

And finally - Happy Birthday :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Well don't be too sorry, you did what you thought was right. Now, personally I don't see see the harm in having your details on your site if you want them. I think that there is a very large difference between potential harm and the extremely over hyped risk of it. .
it is very easy, given the details on his site, to get a location (down to a road name, XXXXX Hill) and that is way way to much to include on a childs website. safety First always.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
it is very easy, given the details on his site, to get a location (down to a road name, ****** Hill) and that is way way to much to include on a childs website. safety First always.

I won't argue about what is possible or what is safe, because they are both emotive discussions which in themselves are not relevant to this thread, nor indeed BCUK. It happens that I strongly disagree with "safety First always", but I'm not going to argue about it here.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You don't listen very well, do you?
We've been telling you since day1 that you have left yourself, and potentially your family, too open.
The internet is active, a few clues and anyone can be traced.

You have had more than enough time to deal with things in a mature fashion, yet you aren't attending to this.

I am a Mod on this site, if an adult ignored my request they would be put on a suspension, why ought you be given leeway they aren't?
Responding to my request in the way you have is a very straightforward way to get your membership suspended.

That's not a threat, that is reality.

Now, think before you answer me back,
Please pay heed to the requests that have been made. They genuinely are made with your best interests at heart.

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE