web buliding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

can you help

• Total voters

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
:thanks: tadpole for giving it a :nutkick: :buttkick: :joke:
I am glad you where honest :cussing: about what you fort about the site. :thanks: for pointing out that I needed to fix’s the menu that I have done now. But be fore you ask no the buttons will not go smaller and I don’t want to go too small any way. And I am not using text links for the main links apart from the bottom, which are Automatically generated by the programme

I put the clock on for two reasons one it was in the programme and two so people aren't late for what they are doing that day as well as so they know what time it is and how long they've been on more easily. Because it is in a better position compared to the one on your computer where you have to look especially to there. The frame is for easy navigation and so you don't always have to scroll up to the top of the page to go to the next page also so you always have the links at your mouse.

About the Java runtime environment don't have a clue what you mean because I haven't simply been taught about it. But there is online manual, which has stuff about loading pages in different Internet Explorers like Firefox so you find me what to do and I will do it.

by the way I think screen door is what you want?
http://www.netobjects.com/html/essentials_tutorials.html

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
It's definitely a good start and a good effort for one so young.

My advice would be to ditch the frames - everything you are doing can be done by using simple tables (just a few cells will suffice), it'll look a lot neater and you can ditch those scrolly frames.

Of course this is just my opinion (everyone has their own way of designing a web page) and what has worked for me in the past.

Keep at it though and don't give up!

Dr O

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
Tell me what you think of the site so far and if there is any in prove mounts I can do.

+ Can you answer my googel question:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

use signature links

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I don't wish to appear overly critical so please take these as suggestions and be encouraged to carry on developing your site. I've bookmarked it and will follow your progress with interest. Anyhow - some sugestions:

Please cut down the scrolling text and animations a little - perhaps make them smaller if you want to keep them.

Also on my pc the left frame puts a scroll bar in and it interferes a lot with the layout. Simpler layouts may perhaps better.

You may get along better by switching from netobjects to pure HTML. Your site is fairly simple and a simpler way of working may be better.

I am a software developer by trade and am more then willing to help you and give you pointers for the HTML part, or even things like ASP if you want to go that way. Just let me know what I can do.

Anyhow, please be encouraged, it's good to see people willing to "put themselves out there". Keep it up and I hope it goes well.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I second the comments about the animation. Way too distracting. Also, the colour scheme clashes pretty badly, the mixture of white text on black background, areas of white background, and flashing images doesn't work. Stick to one neutral background and keep things simple. You don't want to give your reader's eye strain.

The list of bushcraft links is certainly impressive, but it would be better if you grouped them into categories and had a few words about what it is that you are linking to. At the moment they appear all jumbled together.

Lose the stuff about making explosives. Whether the stuff that you get around to doing is legal or not, you don't want to get a name for being interested in blowing things up at your age. Do what you like in your own time, and deal with any consequences, but don't post it on the net.

I would say you could do well by finding other sites with layouts that you like, that get a lot of traffic, and see how they do the layout. Simpler is always better...not everyone, even at work, has a connection that handles flashy graphics.

Also, sorry, but I voted for "rubbish". You did put that option up there, :eek: and if I had come to your site cold, without knowing anything about you, or wanting you to be encouraged to continue, that is what I would have though :p. Please don't be discouraged though! I have tried doing web stuff and I really suck at it, not the layout so much as not understanding how it all goes together, the technical side. Like anything it will just take practice. Best of luck with it!:)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I haven't voted but that is because I do not want to put you off with a negative poll result.

I agree with the earlier comments, KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

Please take the comments below as constructive critism, not a put down:

• Calm down the colours - make them compliment each other - not conflict.
  • Lose all the flashing / scrolling text - it just gives people eye strain (especially us old (er) folk!)
  • Some of the links do not seem to work.
  • Lose the bits on explosives! (Having this knowledge is dangerous - passing it to others that you do not know is just foolish IMHO!)

Keep at it - your efforts are FAR better than I could produce - act on these and the earlier comments and you will have a cracking website - I'll come back and vote in a few weeks!

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I think I agree with all of the above :p

It is good to see you putting the effort in, but it's way too confused and distracting for me to want to spend more than a few seconds looking at, and if there was any content there that I liked I probably wouldn't notice it a a result! I'd second the idea of looking at some sites that you like. I'll almost bet that all of your favourite sites are clean and slick. Simple, common backgrounds, same fonts and colours etc.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'd like to say well done for tying, I see that you're 13 soon so what I will add to the conversation is that you should Google/Amazon for some decent web design books ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-Design-...r_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198332045&sr=8-28

... for example. The first fews times any of us make a website we do tend to play with flashy things, scrolling text and animations, but we soon learn that really they're more effort than they are worth and they just tend to make a site look cluttered.

If you want an example of a nice clean and simple website look at Wayland's, there's a lot of information spread across a few pages and broken down into useful sections - the design is colourful but not distracting.

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/

Keep at it abushcrafter, you'll get there. Oh, and happy birthday for the 29th.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Happy birthday indeed!

And yeah, we all do the scrolling text stuff on our first websites :rolleyes: so don't feel put out if with the benefit of hindsight we suggest you don't have them. But again, it's a great start and I look forward to additional content!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I think you've made a good start - one thing that does catch my eye though is the English. I'm not saying you have to have everything perfect but using capital letters in the right place will help make your site look more professional and mature. In general bushcrafters are traditional so don't use text-speak.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Congratulations on what you have achieved so far.

I have to echo the comments of those above which deal with your initial choice of colours and animation as I also found them too busy.

Colours which complement each other help make a visitor feel more welcome and too many bright and/or contrasting colours can quickly repel those who might otherwise find your content useful and informative
As has been mentioned before the menu bar on the left of the screen gives you a lot less space to work with and gives a cramped feel to an already active page; have you considered moving it to the top of the screen?

Definitely get rid of the bit about bangs and explosives; a good reputation is hard to gain and very easy to lose. If you want to keep the subject because creating fire by chemical reaction interests you that is fine, but you will need to think about how to properly phrase and title that section. There is a lot of information on fire-making on the site; have a read of this tutorial of Red’s: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18056&page=2&highlight=science+fire (if you haven’t already) there are many on this site who amaze me with the apparent ease with which they use their fire skills in even the worst of weather.

If I remember correctly you have already mentioned in the forums that you’re dyslexic (??) – it might be a good idea to make use of a proof-reader as a spell check won’t always high-light spelling errors.

Again I congratulate you on what you have achieved on your web-site so far and I look forward to following it’s and your progression.
Oh and just to add; You've done far better than I could!

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
:thanks: for all your replies.
Spelling is due to Dyslexia rather than text speak and relying on the netobjects spellchecker. I will try to update the web site in the next few days with the suggestions made above. Then I can get on with the interesting bit:rolleyes: of writing some interesting articles on bushcraft and other stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE