Wearing an essentials belt WITH a backpack..

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Something that has been bugging me for a while now..

I like to wear a belt that I can always have on my person with certain things on in case I ever get separated from my main pack - First aid kit, Utility kit (calling it a survival kit makes me nauseous, also instead of those 'squeeze everything in so it's bursting' kits, I like to have mine as a common use pouch that I actually use) & Multitool/knife.

Problem is, I cannot think of a way to carry this while I have a backpack (with a waist strap) on that is comfortable and practical.

Anyone have a solution that they use for this? Any advice would be great.

Cheers!

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
One small note - I want to avoid wearing military style webbing or a vest. Looks way too tactical for me and I want to avoid that whole debate!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Remove your pouches from your belt, loop some cord or tape through the belt loops, tie the ends of the cord together with a couple of double fishermans knots, then hang your pouches under your arm or across your chest, tighten as needed using the knots.

Or use a shoulder bag.

:)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
have a look at a snugpak response pack,..

its basically an overblown bumbag,...

i wear one under my main pack with a lil brew kit, sak, bino,s etc etc,....

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Cargo pockets or leg pouches.

I'm generally against loading up my legs too much, that's why I want the weight centered around my waist more.

FURTHER NOTE - Keep in mind that the 2 pouches I'm carrying are Maxpedition Tactile pockets so would not fit in cargo pockets.. or a hat :p
I should have said that in the original post - my bad. Cheers for all the input though.

Also, means the snugpack response pack would be too bulky - I'm looking for something I can carry comfortably all the time and I think a snugpack response pack is too big and would become tiresome after a while.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just use a doble dangler knife sheath and possibles pouch. These have long belt loops designed to hang lower than your pack belt

The photo below shows how the long loop shows above my knife handle. The knife then hangs below a pack belt

PFK in Sheath by British Red, on Flickr

same long loops on my pouch

New Back by British Red, on Flickr

Hope that helps

Red

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
get a finnish gas mask canvas bag about £7-£10 it has a waist and shoulder strap and numerous pockets inside and comes in various subdued colours ! p.s pay another £5 and you get the unused gas mask and filter too.lol
surpless and outdoors do them both or mean and green for them seperate.

Last edited:

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Some cool ideas guys, thanks.

.. long belt loops designed to hang lower than your pack belt..

Hope that helps

Red

Wow, I will definitely look into this idea. Simple & effective. Thank you!
I want to keep on using my pouches if I can (prefer nylon to leather - just my opinion) but I'm sure there must be a way to rig up an extended loop system on them.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Just use a doble dangler knife sheath and possibles pouch. These have long belt loops designed to hang lower than your pack belt.....

i used to do this (as do lots of folk) and found it worked pretty well for me, the only downside (for me) was that my possibles pouch tended to flap around a bit and repeatedly smack my a**e, especially if i was moving quickly. i ended up changing the loops on my pouch for slightly bigger ones so that i can now wear the pouch on my belt around camp or on my rucksack waistbelt when travelling. it works pretty well for me.

quick photo to show you what i mean

33msisw.jpg

stuart

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some cool ideas guys, thanks.

Wow, I will definitely look into this idea. Simple & effective. Thank you!
I want to keep on using my pouches if I can (prefer nylon to leather - just my opinion) but I'm sure there must be a way to rig up an extended loop system on them.

Assuming your pouches have Molle loops on the back (and I bet they do being MaxP), get some long Malice Clips and put them through the top loop. This will give exactly the same thing

Malice-Clip.jpg

Red

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
i used to do this (as do lots of folk) and found it worked pretty well for me, the only downside (for me) was that my possibles pouch tended to flap around a bit and repeatedly smack my a**e, especially if i was moving quickly. i ended up changing the loops on my pouch for slightly bigger ones so that i can now wear the pouch on my belt around camp or on my rucksack waistbelt when travelling. it works pretty well for me.

quick photo to show you what i mean

33msisw.jpg

stuart

What bag is that stuart?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just use a doble dangler knife sheath and possibles pouch. These have long belt loops designed to hang lower than your pack belt

The photo below shows how the long loop shows above my knife handle. The knife then hangs below a pack belt

PFK in Sheath by British Red, on Flickr

same long loops on my pouch

New Back by British Red, on Flickr

Hope that helps

Red

Beautiful kit.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You might consider switching to a backpack without a waistbelt. I have no choice because of my build. Almost all the waistbelts fit round my torso at are above the naval.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE