Wayland's Wanigan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Waylands-Wanigan.jpg

Yes, it's yet another box...

I do seem to have a thing about boxes, they are just so very useful.

This is my Camp Kitchen Wanigan. The term comes from the old lumber camps where the wanigan was a store for many of the necessary things needed around camp.

This one will contain most of the stuff needed around the stove in my tent or the campfire if I’m cooking there.

Cutlery and small kitchen equipment of course but also dry goods, seasonings, cooking oil and sauces.

The lid closes down to make a comfortable seat while cooking as well.

Most of the pots and pans will be stored in the shelving trunk nearby.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Humph. I dont like encouraging you Wayland, but thats better than most of the furniture in my house. :bluThinki

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The edit button got removed due to abuse.

That is a shame because a lot of my old posts are going to fall apart over time if I can't edit broken picture links.

All my images are hosted on my own websites and they get moved around as the web sites evolve.

I usually repair the damage here when that happens but if I can't edit the links then there is not much I can do about it I'm afraid.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love a good box - and those are good boxes!
Keep up the good work!
Strangely enough I have just edited this post twice - I still have an edit button.......
?:confused:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Another great project and I am really liking the wooden plate, is it aged sycamore?
I have plans to make some in the near future, when I get back to work, and that design is pretty much what I had in mind.
Rob.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
that's braw, I always like to have a wee box or leather bag with all my cooking stuff next to me around the campfire to keep things tidy, this certainly does the job.
how many man servants do you have to tote all this stuff about Gary haha

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I honestly couldn't tell you Rob, it was a boot sale find years ago and I've never been much good at wood ID.

Ahh! man I feel you there, I'm a carpenter and joiner and even after 35 ish years I still have trouble with timber I.D. :lmao: My other guess was Elm and now I know it is an older item that may actually be closer.
Both timbers are good for things that get wet a lot apparently.
Thanks for your reply, Rob.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very well crafted.
These boxes just ramp up my annoyance that I can't even buy such items.
I have and use 2 of the classic Coleman insulated "coolers" which are useless for kit.

Some day, take a look at a Pacific Northwest native "kerf-bent" box.
Only one corner, sewen shut with spruce root. Waterproof, no less.
I have cross-section drawings of 9+ different corner joints.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ahh! man I feel you there, I'm a carpenter and joiner and even after 35 ish years I still have trouble with timber I.D. :lmao: My other guess was Elm and now I know it is an older item that may actually be closer.
Both timbers are good for things that get wet a lot apparently.
Thanks for your reply, Rob.

Elm was used in the UK as water and sewage pipes up until the 1700s. Pieces are still being dug up to this day, it's sad we've lost everything but the young ones who grow profusely until attacked by the beetle again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE