Wayland's 50th Birthday Bash

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As folks know Gary had a significant birthday last weekend and celebrated by having a birthday bash in the woods :)

Anyway here's some pictures from the weekend

A few of the pitches

Mine :)

Crowman and Red Fox's

Damians

We had time under the chute...

Gary had a play with his gifts from Crowman... a 2" and 1.5" auger. Sadly I forgot to get a picture of the 2 together or the bench he made and was promptly claimed by the site crew when they saw it :)

Gary had a small birthday cake :)

We also got to see some of the wonderful embroidery by his wife Debs. It's based on an original funeral offering of a viking woman. Gary did tell us more but I forgot the name :eek: but hopefully he'll tell us the history behind it :)

Any birthday bash at Rough Close isn't complete without a good spread of food and this was no exception :D

Damian brought some truly wonderful 100% dexter beef burgers which are probably the best I have every had :)

It was a night of much amusement and enjoying chat around the fire under the stars :)

I didn't say earlier but the weekend was actually a double celebration as well with Decorums wife Rosie celebrating her 21st on the Saturday :)

Here's their birthday cake :)

And here's my favourite picture of the lot... the birthday boy himself :D

Oh my gods the tapestry looks amazing. Can't wait for the next meet at rough close it's a lovely site. Although I have spoken to our leaders of the local sea scouts here who have a lovely island and we can hire the site which would be really nice 'my Island'....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow, now that looks like a good birthday bash, smiling faces all round, some lovely kit, tasty sounding grub and as others have said a stunning tapestry. Cheers for posting and putting up pictures too Mesquite really nice to see.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Only just spotted this. It was a great weekend thanks to all that made it.

The tapestry is based upon fragments that were found in the Oseberg ship burial. Mostly reconstructed from drawings that were made when it was first excavated as it was in very poor condition.

The order of the figures is unlikely to be correct and the colours purely speculative but the design of the figures them selves are relatively accurate.

It was done mostly last year and made to form an addition to my school talks to stimulate discussion with the kids. The truth is that, although theories abound, nobody actually knows what the embroidery is really about so the kids can make interpretations that are just as valid as any historian or archaeologists.

They quite like that fact and often reach independent conclusions remarkably similar to some of the prevailing academic theories.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE