Wax stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A good idea is worth repeating :D

Tengu posted a tutorial on this sort of thing a while back but she used corrugated cardboard which gave a really good burning edge. If I recall correctly she used the foil trays that some cat food comes in. Neat idea though, but yeah, sooty pots. Good clean soot that works well with resin for glue however.

cheers,
Toddy

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Done this with Cubs and Scouts and set the fire alarm off in the hut. Lots of smoke and sooty pots but OK as a backup.
You can make firlighters the same way or use it as a firelighter if you are stuck.

M

monkeyman

boot polish tin is a great size for this, fill wax to the top fit lid to save wax from crumbling and when your finished cooking replace lid to snuff out flame and to save for future use

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Very similar to the Nuwick 44 candle/stove/heater that I have carried for probably 15 years. Only ever tried it a few times! Found I had two of them just the other day, must give them a try!:)

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Just made one of these stoves/ burners. I have yet to try it out in anger but an initial lighting in the back garden has been quite impressive. I used a small sweetie tin a few inches acroos. When i get a few mins I will try and post a few piccys.

Greg

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Use to make these at scout's many year ago, used them quite a bit, not bad, same cooking power as a trangia :lmao:
Tried to improve the formula with allsorts of additives in the wax, normally ended up like putting a match to Napalm, worked but the fumes werent good wafting round the campsite/woods, the joy of youth :D :rolleyes:

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
well this is a new one to me, brilliant, thanks for posting the link mate, simple ideas eh,
im going to give that one a whirl tommorow, top post mate

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
iv tryed and teasted this tipe of stove, i dont think that there good as a stove(hard to keep even tep) but they are good as a light, and dont blow out,

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Those white candles are paraffin wax, it's a petroleum product or should we say by-product. Nasty stuff, sooty and causes all kinds of medical problems for you.

Use natural bee's wax and see how you get on.

Cephas

Jul 9, 2007
Chaves, Portugal
You can use sawdust instead of cardboard

Sawdust! Great idea! :) Gonna try that one! Thanks for the idea.

Quick note: i like to try these alternative fuel stoves because i don't like gas stoves that much. That said, back to the field tests. :)

...but have to say i am impressed with the jetboil...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE