Wax matches anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
I'm not sure if these are available in the UK. Over here it is possible to pick up matches made of wax and woof fiber ( compressed.) These light as any other match but burn for up to 1 minute. They are about 4-5 cm long and about 1.5 cm thick.

An idea for a kit test or review maybe??

Any comments?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Dave Barker said:
I'm not sure if these are available in the UK. Over here it is possible to pick up matches made of wax and woof fiber ( compressed.) These light as any other match but burn for up to 1 minute. They are about 4-5 cm long and about 1.5 cm thick.

An idea for a kit test or review maybe??

Any comments?

Here in France, I've bought matches for lighting wood burning stoves that just the same as ordinary Swan Vestas, but are about 10" long and 1/4" square section.

Strike one, and put it head down into the middle of a well-built fire, and it's almost a guaranteed first-time light.

Now, get a bunch of them, and coat them in wax by letting a lit candle drip onto them, and they'll be waterproofed and might burn longer (and maybe hotter).

Keith.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
you can get strikeable barbeque lighters which might be a slightly bigger version of what you describe.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE