wax dressing question.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Can the barbour or drizabone wax dressing treatments be used on a cotton jacket to make it more weather proof,

Ive tried greenland wax on the old swedish army smock to make it water resistant and it does work but makes them quite stiff, ive got a old Nato o/g heavyweight dutch army jacket and was wondering if this was coated with the barbour or drizabone dressing wax would it work? Ive done a bit of reasearch on oil cloth and it was originaly done by using 100% pure linseed oil (eg old ww2 gas cape's where done this way) but this would surely be quite sticky and can be a bit of a fire hazard, anyone any suggestions?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Help no ones listening to me! guys i know about nixwax and grangers, im specifically wanting to know if you can apply the wax clothing treatment to a old military jacket rather than the greenland wax and achieve decent results?

Scrogger ive laid the burning coverall demon to rest,its no longer a raw nerve!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
give it a try (and when you do let us know how it works out). I've never done it to a normal jacket before, but I have refurbished an old wax jacket where most of the wax had worn off and that worked fine.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Also used the spay on wax dressing,to good effect, on a Swannie!

That sounds interesting... more details please???

I've put wax dressing on a 20 year old waxed jacket which had lost all its previous coating and it works well - just isn't as breathable as it once was. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on heavy cotton, after all that's what a waxed jacket is before the wax is applied.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
treadlightly, I have used spray on wax as a kind of re-proofer for years on things like Swannies and wool beanies,it kind of just 'sits' in the fibres ( I give it a little rub in with my hand ) Any of the brands seem to work ( the last one was 'Hoggs,I think ) Its the stuff for re-proofing wax cotten outdoor wear and is not as thick as Barbour thorn proof wax.
Hope this helps.
Chris.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
treadlightly, I have used spray on wax as a kind of re-proofer for years on things like Swannies and wool beanies,it kind of just 'sits' in the fibres ( I give it a little rub in with my hand ) Any of the brands seem to work ( the last one was 'Hoggs,I think ) Its the stuff for re-proofing wax cotten outdoor wear and is not as thick as Barbour thorn proof wax.
Hope this helps.
Chris.

Thanks Chris, I'll give it a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE