Waterproofing Leather Hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OwenoWent

Feb 3, 2011
South West Wales
My old Argentinian leather goucho hat isn't repelling water like it used to. It holds it off for a bit before it eventually soaks into the leather leaving a mark - until it thoroughly dries out.

I've bought some Nikwax Waterproofing Wax Cream after looking through this forum. Can't find any real advice on application though. Wondering if I simply rub it in, or if I need to heat the hat first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to ruin this hat - I bought it in a one horse town in the Andes and carries so much sentimentality.

Thanks Guys

Owen.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Make sure the hat is in a nice warm room and the leather is room temp. Then apply the wax with your fingers rubbing well in. The warmth of your fingers will help the wax penetrate the leather. Do a small area at a time till the hat is covered then buff the excess off with a lint free cloth, job done !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE