Oh no ! not another leather bush hat !!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Recently finished an umteenth leather hat.....I decided to make a softy (& I'll tell you why a little later) despite my preference for firmer leather hats & only using bits of scrap leather I have in my treasure box....so the result is a little 'patchy'.....dimensions; brim 7cm at the sides, around 7.5 at the front & 8 cm at the back...crown; 10cm at the front 9 cm at the back..(all approx.)

2012_0116tracks0026-1.jpg

The brim & band are made from old kangaroo leather taken from an ugly bag I bought yonks ago on ebat Australia.( back when 1 euro was worth 2 Aussie dollars :rolleyes:) I was the only one bidding so I got it very cheap, even the postage was inexpensive. It was a lighter tan coloured but I didn't dye it darker as I rather liked it's worn faded look but it has darkened a little with the numerous wax applications. there wasn't enough usable leather to make the crown too.
So the crown is made from a very soft 2.2mm calf leather, the piece wasn't quite long enough to go all the way round so I had to add a strip (same thing for the hat band.)
2012_0116tracks0027-1.jpg

nor was it deep enough which is why it is sewn along the top of the band & not directly onto the brim

The top posed a problem in that though I had the piece that had been cut out of the center of the brim the hide was just too thin (around 1mm) & soft added to that the crown was so supple, it didn't keep a proper shape (yes I had tried it sewn & everything :cussing:).not having any firmer brown leather at my immediate disposal I opted for a piece of 2mm black buffalo leather though not very firm it does give the crown the neccessary structure...

2012_0116tracks0030-1.jpg

& a piece of upholstry leather for the sweat pad. There is a length of plastic beading (?) ( I usually use fencing wire) in the brim which I heated to give it a 'sort of ' permanant shape though I will probably change it at some point when I find something better as I have to fiddle about with it & re-shape it every time before putting it on...
All hand sewn using polyester button thread...
Now the reason why I made this hotpotch thing is so that I could fit it into a bread bag or rucky when there is a risk of rain but not actually raining as I don't like to wear a hat unless it's raining as it buggers up my perm..:rofl:so I wanted it to squash flat, which it does..
2012_0116tracks0031-1.jpg

I took this thing for a trial run a few days ago during a thunderstorm & much to my surprise, it leaked like a blinking sieve. Although it had been well waxed (it's usually enough) it was about as effective as a paper hat....so since then it has been recieving regular coats of wax(which is why it looks a little shiny in the photos) & the stitching where crown /band is attached to the brim has had every sort of gunk I can think of put onto it (which has darkened the leather in some places) as the rain came dripping through...the top too has recieved particular attention, inside & out as it turned into a sponge ......so we'll see the next time it rains, hopefully it will be showerproof but I doubt it will ever be downpour proof:D... ..

I've got 2 more hats in the making, firmer more cowboy-ish in style..:) & more fun to make.

Thanks for listening....

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I took this thing for a trial run a few days ago during a thunderstorm & much to my surprise, it leaked like a blinking sieve.

Thanks for making my day with that quote. :)

I am always astounded by the talent of people on this site. I don't know why; I have been here long enough.

Thanks for sharing the process. :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Really like the looks of it, though a bit patchy, I love to see people working with the resources at hand I don't know why but makes it look a bit more genuine.
And I'm looking very much forward to seeing your other hats in the making^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
it does look good! I had a stiff leather hat like that and it was pretty cool, it left it in the suna nd kind of shrank but it stretched it out again. If I were to get one again I'd go for a squashy one, then I wouldn't worry about deforming the leather or anything.

keep up the good work, nice to see something different on here!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE