Waterproofing a homemade tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
All,

I've bought some lightweight, ripstop, nylon with a view to making a tarp. It isn't waterproof so I'll need to treat it with something. I'm looking for robust waterproofing rather than breathability.

Has anyone done anything similar and, if so, what works best?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I've made both of the 2 I use out of ripstop. I used the tent waterproofer from Halfords. It stops a lot but drips if you have a puddle form, It also is still breathable so lets a little wind through but looks like a sail in a good blow :rofl:. I found that thin (1mmish) bungee on the tie outs stops it stretching or ripping ;)

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
Thanks for the info. on this. I'll give Fabsil a go.

I'd thought about using some thin bungee on tie downs and will definitely do that now.

Cheers,

Bob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
4x3m - but I have yet to measure it packed at I "stuff" it - not fold it - into a stuff sack. This stops repeated stress being put on the same areas ..like you pack a sail...
It packs about the same size as a Tatonka poly cotton of the same kind of size...

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
4x3m - but I have yet to measure it packed at I "stuff" it - not fold it - into a stuff sack. This stops repeated stress being put on the same areas ..like you pack a sail...
It packs about the same size as a Tatonka poly cotton of the same kind of size...
A lot larger than a ripstop then...but a lot more durable I reckon
BTW I stuff too for the same reason ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am trying to get all my kit - as much as is possible in this day and age - to be "naturals" ie no oil derived products. Yeah - I know it is next to impossible (ie I use fabsil!) but I am trying for minimal impact combined with absolute performance!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
A good while ago I made a tarp from 1.1oz ripstop untreated nylon, it was 'seconds' @ 1 per metre :) there was nothing really wrong with it just some of the ripstop lines were a bit uneven at some points - not good enough to make something commercially with.

Anyway I used fabsil gave it a couple of coats and under heavy, heavy rain it let a light mist through - after a 10 hour night things were getting wet. Maybe not enough fabsil, maybe the fabric was too light / loose a weave and just let a little moisture through? I don't know. I've recently bought a commercially made tarp as I found a long and thin one which is my preference for a tarp.

I've heard people making their own mixture of silicone sealant and white spirits, I've also heard of people use brick sealant.

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
To make a decent waterproof tarp from nylon ripstop you'll need a tight weave. This is easily tested by trying to force your breath through it, sealing you lips on the fabric. Unless there's a significant impedance to you breath going through I wouldn't bother TBH.

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
Scotty,

The stuff I've got is described as parachute material. It is supposedly made for the MoD. I'll try the breath test on it.

Thanks for the tip.

Bob

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
The 3' wide stuff (occasionally 4')? that's no good I'm afraid, tried it and leaked like a sieve! There is some of the MOD ripstop that I use for hammocks (5' amd 1.3oz/y2) that will work, easily spotted as this one is shiny, I've no idea if that's a parachute material though

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
I've done the breath test on the fabric. It seems pretty airtight. I did manage to force some breath through, but there was a lot of resistance. Think I might give it a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE