Waterproof Jacket (again)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Jon Pickett said:
Hi Bonzo.............Just wondering, how often do Paramo recommend re-treating the fabric.................Jon

John, as Andy said as soon as the water stops beading, so that'll probably depend on how often/hard you wear it.
I asked our local stockists and they said 8 to 10 weeks. I took it that the more you look after it the better it'll work and the longer it'll last.
Gore recommend that you wash GoreTex 2 to 3 times a year to get the best out of it.

Cheers

Bonzo

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I just like to throw a spanner in the works and put forward my recomendation for eVENT clothing. I've been testing this out recently and am amazed at the level of breathabilty, far better than XCR or paclite. Very lightweight too so for bushcraft purposes wear a single layer ventile, and if it really throws it down put the eVENT jacket over the top. You'll stay dry and your ventile will dry out, its that breathable. In most cases its cheaper than Gore jackets too.

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
hy,
just bringing my question under attantion.... ;)

waxed cotton, can you do that by yourself???
can you wax cotton (heavyarmycotton) or do you need a special fabric treatment for that....
if you can treat it yourself, than is that the cheapest option I think.

hope someone has an answer, because it would be a very inexpesive way of making your own waterproof jacket :)

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
I have to say that given the Gore Tex bashing I would just post to say that the benefit for me is that it is waterproof. If I am doing a high output exercise in light rain I will probably not bother with waterproofs as the rain keeps you cool, just live on 1 quick drying layer. In Winter when it is cold I will sweat very little so may wear a gore tex layer but where it comes into its own for me is at the end of the day if it is raining you can put on your dry kit then put your gore tex on and you know you will stay dry around camp. The downside is lightweight shell layers are very susceptible to damage in woods, in those instances where you will spend ages pushing through thorns you cant beat a wax jacket, dont know how to make one though.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
no reason why you shouldn't be able to wax your own cotton. I'm not sure if you could just use lots of the retreatment stuff or if you'd have to find some other wax though.
I would think that the hot wax treatment for leather sheaths might be a good place to start, try with some bits of old jeans.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE