Waterproof clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Do you have any suggestions for waterproof clothing, autumns is soon here and then there will probably be a very wet and cold winter. So I need a new waterproof jacket and trousers but that also works in cold weather. Any suggestions?

leon-1

Viking, take a look at Keela and Lowe Alpine, they both have good ranges of clothing that are not massively bright, but will work for wet and cold.

Keela used to do a jacket that was designed for gill bashing and the material had been trialled by the RAF mountain rescue teams (I think the material was Innovation7, but cannot be sure), I used it in Scotland snow and ice climbing and found it to be very good. I loaned it to my mum about 7 years ago and couldn't get it back. It is still going strong.

I am a big fan of Lowe Alpine and have had three of thier jackets. I am looking at getting another soon, when I can afford it and have to retire the old one.

Both companies you can get reasonable deals on thier clothing and have a look at some of the other suggestions, all the best in your search :eek:):

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
generally speaking you get what you pay for,
so if you buy cheap PVC jacket and pants, they will be waterproof but you will sweat like crazy!

if you spend £300 on a jacket you will have a jacket suitable for winter mountineering.

my suggestion is get out and try on as many as you can, some will feel more comfortable, some will feel terrible.

most gear is breathable today, the more you spend the better it breathes!

but remember, you can buy the most expensive Goretex XCR jacket, but block the pores (microscopic holes, like on your skin) and it will work just like a PVC jacket!

note: most mountineering jackets have zips under the arms, to allow air to cool you, even today they still can't cope aswell as your own skin!
take the most expensive jacket run up a hill, you will still sweat!

as i say try on as many as possible, don't be fooled by gimmicks, and any good salesman will let you take it home to try(and bring back).

lastly, check the label!
is it waterproof,
anything that says:
weatherproof, water resistant, or showerproof, is not 100% waterproof!

have fun and choose well!

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Go for something good quality and lightweight – it’s worth paying for the good stuff and it will last if you look after it. I really like Lowe Alpine, but have a look at outdoorsmagic.com for a load of user reviews on all sorts of kit. Breathable is essential, but as has been said before, you will still sweat. Unless you can afford multiple sets of waterproofs, just layer up underneath for winter. I rarely wear more than a base-layer shirt under waterproofs even in winter because I run hot, I just put on an extra warm layer (fleece/snugpack) as soon as I stop.
Make sure you only wash your waterproofs in pure soap and thoroughly rinse the washing machine before you do. Detergents kill breathable coatings. And don’t take your lovely new waterproofs anywhere near a fire!!!

Ted W

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Well,
Depends what you want to do in it really. For anything involving sparks or flames I'd avoid man made fibre unless you like holes in your kit so ventile is probably your best bet. A quick search on here and you will turn up loads of stuff from mega expensive to home made on ventile.
If you will be keeping away from fire my personal choice is Paramo, but keep in mind the world seems to be split in two between those of us who won't touch anything but Paramo and those who won't touch it!
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE