Watermelon Health Benefits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Toddy, in a previous thread you commented that you were surprised watermelon didn't taste sweet as you expected. This article explains that; it has only half the sugar of an apple:

11026090_620933404708508_3243254281246778395_n.jpg

Medical Medium

Watermelon is an excellent fruit that effectively hydrates, detoxifies, and cleanses the entire body on a cellular level. It is rich in vitamins A and C as well... as lycopene, beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin which are excellent for providing protection from lung, mouth, pancreatic, breast, prostate, endometrial, and colon cancer. Watermelon is also known to significantly reduce inflammation, help flush out edema, aid in weight loss, and alleviate depression. Watermelon can also boost the immune system as well as strengthen vision. Watermelon is not nearly as high in sugar as most people think as it has half the sugar than an apple. Watermelon is loaded with antioxidants that have the ability to neutralize free radical molecules and aid in the prevention of chronic illnesses. The rind of the watermelon is equally beneficial as it is one of the highest organic sodium foods in nature and one of the best sources of chlorophyll and can be juiced for a delicious and healing drink. And, if you are lucky enough to get a watermelon with black seeds, even better! Crunch those seeds up too, they have an amazing effect on the nervous system, aiding in relaxing the body and lowering blood pressure and contain helpful amounts of iron, zinc, and protein.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Toddy, in a previous thread you commented that you were surprised watermelon didn't taste sweet as you expected. This article explains that; it has only half the sugar of an apple:

11026090_620933404708508_3243254281246778395_n.jpg

Medical Medium

Watermelon is an excellent fruit that effectively hydrates, detoxifies, and cleanses the entire body on a cellular level. It is rich in vitamins A and C as well... as lycopene, beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin which are excellent for providing protection from lung, mouth, pancreatic, breast, prostate, endometrial, and colon cancer. Watermelon is also known to significantly reduce inflammation, help flush out edema, aid in weight loss, and alleviate depression. Watermelon can also boost the immune system as well as strengthen vision. Watermelon is not nearly as high in sugar as most people think as it has half the sugar than an apple. Watermelon is loaded with antioxidants that have the ability to neutralize free radical molecules and aid in the prevention of chronic illnesses. The rind of the watermelon is equally beneficial as it is one of the highest organic sodium foods in nature and one of the best sources of chlorophyll and can be juiced for a delicious and healing drink. And, if you are lucky enough to get a watermelon with black seeds, even better! Crunch those seeds up too, they have an amazing effect on the nervous system, aiding in relaxing the body and lowering blood pressure and contain helpful amounts of iron, zinc, and protein.

Some fairly extraordinary claims there, how does that work then?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Quite a list. I'd like to read the biochemical research primary references. Hasn't helped my hearing at all.
The content analysis ought to be easy to figure out. The low [sugar] is good for us all.

But, I can leave a watermelon in the sun and the dang thing is still cold when I cut it up.
When it is +30C or hotter in the shade, watermelons are the most refreshing drink on the planet.
Any laboring crew that's worked for me in the summers must stop for a break as I chop a whole watermelon
for them. Every day if need be.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Some fairly extraordinary claims there, how does that work then?

I have no idea; just sharing the article. But not really any more extraordinary than the analysis of most fruits and veg TBH. Just slightly different.

What I do know is that those vitamins and minerals are usually associated with red fruits in general (makes me wonder if it still holds true with yellow meated watermelons?)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The article could be a lot of spout from people who want to sell you freeze dried watermelon
or some such crud (powdered?) Unreferenced, I'd rather eat an "all beef" hotdog.
I won't buy into any of it with out references to peer-reviewed research publications.

The yellow suggests an increase in xanthophylls and carotenoids and a decrease in anthocyanins.
It's a crap-shoot as to what all else may or may not have changed.

The plain old dark green watermelon varieties had the best taste. Period. And the best seeds for spitting.
The demand for junk melons these days leaves me shaking my pointy head.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are a lot of foods that are good for us; pity a lot of them really don't taste good though.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I still have chocolates left from Christmas, but I eat a lot of fruit. I don't eat watermelon.
I have had grapes and cherries and an apricot with my breakfast this morning though :D
Five a day is never a problem.

Watermelon is one of those beautiful to look at fruits though; it has a visual appeal that is incredibly false I reckon. Small pieces in with a melon or pineapple medley might be nice :dunno:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Talking of false promises from fruit for me it's strawbs. Appearance and smell great, taste nil points. (I don't include little wild strawbs in this, they are delicious).
Funny you say you've no sweet tooth yet grapes are a fave. One of the highest suger contents of a fruit, so much so that a lot if diabetics are told to shy off of them.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Five a day is never a problem.

I think 5 a day fruit as a concept is easier to swallow ( excuse the pun ) as opposed to 5 a day Vegetable , which would probably be better for all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're right about the grapes :) but I like rowans too :D
Sweeties are too much though, and though I bake often (mincemeat shortbread in the oven just now) it's once in a blue moon that I eat it. I think the last I had was a gluten free jaffa cake a fortnight ago.

I agree about the strawberries as well. Squishy, watery, overblown things most of them are. I do like the wild ones though, and I like the wee old fashioned 'jam' ones too.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think 5 a day fruit as a concept is easier to swallow ( excuse the pun ) as opposed to 5 a day Vegetable , which would probably be better for all of us.
Ehm, to quote a camping companion, "It's not five a day when you're camping with Toddy, it's like five at every meal" :eek:
I'm a good vegetarian, I honestly have problems understanding how people can't manage five a day :dunno: and we have such a wealth of good veg available these days, and it doesn't bust the budget doing it either. Good, filling food.

M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I find strawberries similar to tomatoes in many ways. The taste is almost the sweet equivalent. And like tomatoes if you get a dud one they're watery and horrible. But get a good one and they're delicious. Although blackberries are the king of the berries.

Watermelons are the poorest melon going. Give me a ripe honeydew anyday.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The whole five a day idea is made up though TD. Different countries in Europe and around the world have different views on what's what. It seems to be more of an aspirational thing for governments as to what they think they can get folk to work towards.
During rationing folk were the healthiest they'd been according to records. Veg wasn't rationed though some fruits and the rest of the diet were.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The whole five a day idea is made up though TD. Different countries in Europe and around the world have different views on what's what. It seems to be more of an aspirational thing for governments as to what they think they can get folk to work towards.
During rationing folk were the healthiest they'd been according to records. Veg wasn't rationed though some fruits and the rest of the diet were.

Yep , Appreciate that GB , But it still sounds like a better starting point as a direction than no point at all doesn't it? I think we are ( and it worsens with each generation ) becoming more and more removed from an understanding and nutritional appreciation of the Food we consume.

Biggest interest fro me is how Cancer and Diabetes seems prevalent in the Western World diet when it should , in theory , offer us the most health benefits if we chose more carefully and avoided refined Carbs.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I usually give up when i see the word "detoxify"....

Yeah, that's the bit that sends my BovineExcrement-O-Meter onto overload as well as I've never read a scientific explanation of how it does that. If the word "Homoeopathic" is used that's a guaranteed fail.

On the flipside, I do really like watermelon though. It's nice on a hot day.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Biggest interest fro me is how Cancer and Diabetes seems prevalent in the Western World diet when it should , in theory , offer us the most health benefits if we chose more carefully and avoided refined Carbs.

Re. Cancer. It's because we live longer. Your odds of developing a mutation increase the older you get.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Re. Cancer. It's because we live longer. Your odds of developing a mutation increase the older you get.

Cancer also LOVES a simple carbohydrate rich bloodstream- most western diets have a lot of Carbs in them from processed and refined foodstuffs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE