Water supplies on Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

I am planning to go to Dartmoor early next year and am busy tring to plan my route on the map.
I see a lot of water markings on the map and wonder if these are actually safe to drink after the obvious safety measures ( boiling or tabs ).

Has anyone got experience of the area and maybe know of safe waters to drink there?

Cheers

Don

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Thanks Leon-1
Im needed to know because I dont want to have to carry masses of water with me and while planning the route I am obviously trying to keep most water ways within limits and also close to potential night stop overs.

Thanks

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've drunk the water on Dartmoor too. Just use the usual common sense - flowing, clear etc. then boil it. There's unlikely to be any chemical pollution, but there are sheep and cattle all over the place pooing on things.

leon-1

No problems, the moor has a lot of water. Obviously a couple of the main ones are east and west Dart before they meet at Dartmeet. This time of year the Dart can be a little livley in places so be aware of that. Also be aware that some of the crossing points on the map are stepping stones and it's not unusual for them to be under water as well, so it pays to have a backup plan.

I hope you have a good trip and any help that I can be just drop me a line,

Leon:)

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Thanks Leon

The route so far starts at Harford moor gate and onto piles hill, sharp tor, erme plains, green hill and onto dartmoor forest which we plan as the turning point.

Don

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Ive had no probs drinking the water there. I have camped a few times around Ryders Hill / Piles Copse area. I just use Aquaclear purification tabs which leaves the water relatively palatable.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Well Piles Copse is a cool place to camp - quite atmospheric. Its right next to a fairly deep stream so nice for a cooling dip, although prob not this time of year! also ideal place to fill your water bottle. Beware of flash flooding tho. Lots of firewood available and fairly secluded.

Beware of ticks! I got one on my leg and just managed to flick it off before it got a proper hold.

Be prepared for some tough terrain / walking and the weather can change quite quickly, i.e fog can come down and can be quite thick.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I second Piles Copse. On the fire point, there is plenty of wood and a few ground scars from inconsiderate campers, but fires aren't actually allowed.

The best advice someone gave me before setting out across the moor, especially any areas marked as marsh on the map is a long stick. It saved me dssappearing to my waist a few times!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hi I've used Dartmoor quite a bit both at work and play and I have to say in my experience the water is full of nasties due to the amount of livestock poo that there is. I use a purifier to be on the safe side. Access to water as everyone has pointed out is not an issue there's a lot of including the lovely horizontal rain!
Your route is nice I've done similar myself and intend to go out next week around the Erme plains area but heading a little further to the East. The river levels can vary nearly on a daily basis but most are fordable once you've scouted around them. Beware of quakers where the marshy bits are covered in moss they can be deep. If the ground has a spugnam type moss, reeds or a reddy heather on it be careful there's a lot of water there. My first experience of the moor found me chest deep in one which was slightly concerning as I was carrying the rope used to extract people, nice. If it's been frosty it's usually easier going. Let me know nearer the time when you plan to go and I can give you a sitrep on how wet etc the area is.

thackstonii

Jan 16, 2007
Cambridge
I'd sterilise any water from Dartmoor, I had bad squits after a weekend up there which was a bit of a pain as I had a driving test first thing Monday morning!

Finding water won't be a problem! Fur Tor is my favourite bit but its in the middle of a live firing range so make sure there are no red flags flying. I think the National park website has training dates.

Have fun!

Mark

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I regularly drink Dartmoor water, in fact I've just put a glass of it down! :D

The water out on the moors is fine as long as you pay the usual attention to what is in the area: dead sheep, sheep and poney poo, that sort of thing ;)

I suggest drawing it from the rivers and streams as I've found lots of the springs and things marked on the map turn out to be bogs and stagnant pools if at all wet when I've been out looking! :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE