Water Purification ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, A friend just texted me that he just watched a Video on youtube about making survival kits,And he saw/heard that it was possible to purify water with a iodine wound wipe.
My question is how do you think this is done.
I think you may have to strain the water through the wipe,or maybe leave the wipe in the water and stand it.
any info welcome.
cheers

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Well, iodine wound wipes are harder to get in this country than they used to be. Wound wipes from a chemist are alcohol based.
May as well stick to purification tablets.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Yeah I think it was a U.S youtube Video he saw it on,And I'm not going to be trying it or recommending it tobe tried,I just thought I would check to see if this trick was common knowledge.
cheers

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Sounds like one of them things that only need to do if in serious dehydration trouble without any other alternatives.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
iodine can be used for water purification but long term it is not good for you, some filters use an iodine resin block that treats the water once it has been filtered by the pump.

you can also get drops for sure and maybe powder too.

im sure it would work fine if needed but why not just boil it if you have the means???

leon-1

iodine can be used for water purification but long term it is not good for you, some filters use an iodine resin block that treats the water once it has been filtered by the pump.

you can also get drops for sure and maybe powder too.

im sure it would work fine if needed but why not just boil it if you have the means???

You can get Iodine drops, but they are not for purification any more. You can no longer buy water sterilisation tablets or drops that are iodine based in Europe.

As to using wipes for sterilising water you'd need to know the level of Iodine in the wipe, you could then bleed all of the iodine out of the wipe and itno the water. If you know how much iodine is in the wipe you can then dilute to the required level.

unit392

Mar 16, 2015
Central Europe
I wouldn't use iodine for water purification unless as a very last resort. Chlorine-based tablets/powders are more available and safer (since running water is often chlorine treated, our system is more used to it, and chlorine definitely won't cause thyroid problems if ingested).

Another option is, which doesn't involve chemicals is using (medical) charcoal, which is usually available in the form of tablets. Charcoal has huge surface area and can absorb all kinds of pollutions (it is used in gas masks as well). It has the drawback, however, that you have to filter the charcoal from the water before drinking, though it can be done with almost any piece of paper.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Hi, A friend just texted me that he just watched a Video on youtube about making survival kits,And he saw/heard that it was possible to purify water with a iodine wound wipe.
My question is how do you think this is done.
I think you may have to strain the water through the wipe,or maybe leave the wipe in the water and stand it.
any info welcome.
cheers

Hi Forest Fella,

Personally I would boil water and only use Iodine as a last resort, Iodine works ok but can put a bit of a taste in the mouth if you use to much, not too sure if an Iodine wipe would work all that well (I maybe wrong) normally you would put a couple of drops into your water bottle and let it stand for a while before drinking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE