water purification & thyroid problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
I have a Thyroid problem and have been trying to find a good way to get round the Iodine issue which all reliable systems seem to use.

I have just discovered from the nice people at Pre-Mac that they produce a Outlet Filter which removes the Iodine - However you do need to filter everything twice. I have purchase this filter and will be trying it out.

You need to contact Pre-Mac direct to purchase this filter as it dosnt seem to be advertised anywhere. 01732460333

Before anybody asks - I cant find any information on why Iodine is an issue with Thyroid problems? Everybody seems to know about it but nobody can provide any data.

Cheers

Nick

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Wayland said:
Don't know about the chemistry but I was told adding Vitamin C ( Ascorbic Acid ) after purification would neutralise the iodine.

Any chemists know about this ?

I dont know for a fact but I think this is just to neutralise the TASTE. Best avoid iodine if it's medically advised.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've always read that cholrine-based purification is the way to go if you have thyroid problems.

The fundamental issue is that iodine regulates thyroid function - don't know much more than that though. Ask your doctor! ;)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
be sure that you understand the difference between a water filter and a water purifier

water filters such as the MSR waterworks etc will not cause you any problems but will not remove the smaller micro organisms such as viruses.

water purifier will remove everything but finding one which does not incorporate iodine as its chemical element will be very difficult

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Why not just filter then boil,works for me. When out biviing the last camp chore i do before turning in for the night is to boil water to purify, then just bottle it,and leave to cool overnight. job done.

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
Thanks everybody

Just a couple of points I am unsure of

If the Boiling point of Iodine is 184c then the water will evaporate before the Iodine has boiled making the Iodine dose stronger?

Isnt a Chlorine based systems less effective?

The advise I had from the Doctor was that I should avoid Iodine where possible - but it would be better to use it rather than nothing (in an emergency) as the consequences of drinking dirty water are far higher than the effect on my Thyroid.

Nick

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Boiling is an alternative to iodine - it's every bit as effective. You don't need to use both. As for the effectiveness of chlorine, I'm not entirely sure...

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
NickC said:
Thanks everybody

Just a couple of points I am unsure of

If the Boiling point of Iodine is 184c then the water will evaporate before the Iodine has boiled making the Iodine dose stronger?

Isnt a Chlorine based systems less effective?

The advise I had from the Doctor was that I should avoid Iodine where possible - but it would be better to use it rather than nothing (in an emergency) as the consequences of drinking dirty water are far higher than the effect on my Thyroid.

Nick

If the Doctor says not to use iodine then don't use iodine!
Yes if you add iodine and then boil you will make the situation worse. But why would you want do this escapes me. Just boiling is enough.
Chlorine works just fine. Just follow the directions on the packet.

Your probably better off asking your doctor rather than people's opinion on the internet.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Iodine is incorporated into the hormone thyroxine, which is made by the thyroid gland and helps regulate basal metabolic rate, heart rate, and the size of response to other hormones like adrenaline (amongst other things!). So, yes, do what your doctor advises!

Vitamin C does neutralise the taste of iodine, but doesn't remove it from the water.

I'd be quite happy to simply filter and boil water, provided I was sure it hadn't got chemical contaminants such as fertiliser runoff from farmland. In which case, I wouldn't drink it at all!!

Hope that's useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE