water purification question

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
After being on a course with the guys from Tamarack, I now use one of these...
imagejpeg

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9069767

The only difference is I fit the filter unit to a clear water bottle, so that I can see how turbid the water is...if its too murky, I tip it out and start again, thereby extendinding the filter life by not blocking it needlessly.

For me, the ease of use (no pumping;)), guarantees it a place in my pack over the Katadyn that I used to carry.

Simon

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Have a look at the first need xl. It's an American bit of kit, and it's fantastic. Still the only one certified by the Americans for use in disaster relief areas, as it takes out everything. Thats heavy metals, viruses, the lot.

It's a little bit heavier and bulkier than the Katadyn, and all in, mine lives in it's own water bottle pouch. The upside is though, I've never used anything like it. It's taken water that looks like death in a puddle and had it looking crystal clear and tasting better than bottled.

All I can say is if you decide to try it, you will not be disapointed.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
hmm I have to say water filters are a bit of a mine field!, I am currently on the search for the perfect system. I want something that will remove bacteria, cysts and viruses if possible as well as reducing chemical if possible (I just don't see the point of filters which don't filter out viruses when some filters can?) I'm going to Poland next year canoeing the rivers for a couple of weeks, hardly pristine water in the bigger rivers and you just can't be sure all of these things are not in it!

I have been seriously considering the lifesaver bottle, I have read some good things on here but some negative reviews especially from the states. To be honest people in the states probably get much more use out of their filters than us. Up until now I've been able to either carry the water I needed or boiled the odd bit but thats not really practical for long trips or carrying for a long time. Quite a few reviews talk about poor quality and filters only lasting a few liters, but then you never know if its just them being stupid! Also I don't think I'm convinced by the bottle idea, I would much prefer a pump version of this I could just use to fill my bottle which would be much smaller, its the only way I would be using it anyway. Does any body have some experience with the lifesaver (Red?)? It doesnt seem to be that popular but that might just be because of price.

I Have not until now come across that first need xl, looking at it it may be just the ticket. Any more people have experience with that and able to give a quick review?

Thanks

Alex

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Lifesaver is effective but the ergonomics and design features do make water gathering and storage more complex than some pump based systems with a gathering hose - particularly where shallow groundwater needs to be used. In stream & river areas it does work well. Its not though an optimal solution for long term camping where, for example, a larger bladder was to be used.

As in all equipment, no one bit of kit suits all needs and purposes

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I'm getting a little confused, I have the Katadyn Pocket, so would this be considered a high or medium filter. I have been using it and then boiling the water to be sure. Do I need to boil or should I be safe if I used a steri pen to follow filtering, any advice gratefully received with thanks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Either boiling or a steripen should be fine. The Katadyn Pocket does nor remove viruses or treat with an iodine resin stage so it has no effect on water borne viruses. If they are of concern, boiling, UV or chemical treatment will deal with them

Red

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Red said it all.

Iodine can affect you if you have thyroid issues, you dont want to discover this halfway through your journey. Chlorine will not as once its in liquid it evaporates off. Your other altermative is permangante but this is destroyed by vit C and citric acid. So it wont work with energy drinks.

So spend the money on ace kit and do a double treatment, the only walker to be living on pure H2O! At this level of purity the only thing you need to worry about is the chemicals given off by your water bottle... it never ends!:lmao:

Last edited:

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Ok heres my new floorless? Setup, the katadyn pocket to filtrate all particulates with the katadyn carbon filters to reduce chemicals, then a steripen adventurer opti to kill viruses with the solar charger to keep it charged permanetly.
Thisl give me most likely the longest warrenty trekk possible on the market atm I think, without any boiling time.

Other than replacement carbon filters, this setup should last me 2500miles easy.

But obviously I will be making some fire and or use a jetboil too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE