Water from birch polypore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
All of the threads I've seen mentioning the birch polypore seem to concern either its use as tinder (though people's success with this varies) or as plasters.

I thought I'd find out for myself whether I could use it as a tinder, so cut myself some earlier on today to have a go. I cut out a chunk about 5x8cm in size. The first thing I noticed was how much water was contained in that one small lump, and wondered whether it might be drinkable as is. I haven't tried it, but thought I'd ask here first.

I've heard, but don't know for sure, that birch polypore is edible though has little or no nutritional value. If that's true I would imagine the water from it would be drinkable.

So, does anybody know for sure?

cheers all,

DHD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's quite unusual to find so much water in a polypore. I'd guess that it's due to the very wet conditions we've been having and that the polypore is rotting or very near to it. I'd leave it well alone, sounds dodgy.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's quite unusual to find so much water in a polypore. I'd guess that it's due to the very wet conditions we've been having and that the polypore is rotting or very near to it. I'd leave it well alone, sounds dodgy.

I often find soaking wet polypore, even when they are fresh in the autumn.
If you want to use it for tinder, you will have to wait until it has dried out completely.
I normally collect mine in the autumn, waiting for the largest specimens to bloom to their full size, then take them home and strip the "pores" from the underside, then hang them in the garage loft,to dry out for a while.You can cut it into thin strips, before you dry it or leave it, and slice it afterwards, it's up to you really.

You might be lucky to find some in the field, during hot dry spells,that are still on the tree from last year. These might be dry enough,to use as tinder straight away but often are more or less just powder in a leathery shell.

As far as edibility goes: The Forestry Commission mycologist ( fungi expert) we use here at Chopwell, for our fungi i.d events, told me that; Birch polypore had both the edibility and texture, of a foam mat!
I can vouch for the texture but frankly, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes, than try eating it or drinking water squeezed from it.

cheers
R.B.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've heard, but don't know for sure, that birch polypore is edible though has little or no nutritional value.

It is edible and does have some nutritional value (some protein, carbohydrate, various vitamins), it also has a high water content but as rancid badger has pointed out it isn't pleasant to eat. Your best bet (presuming you can secure an additional source of water) is to chop them into cubes and let them simmer in a water filled can for a bit and then discard the polypore and drink the fluid. If you are short on rations and haven't been eating properly this broth will give you a perceptible lift.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is edible and does have some nutritional value (some protein, carbohydrate, various vitamins), it also has a high water content but as rancid badger has pointed out it isn't pleasant to eat. Your best bet (presuming you can secure an additional source of water) is to chop them into cubes and let them simmer in a water filled can for a bit and then discard the polypore and drink the fluid. If you are short on rations and haven't been eating properly this broth will give you a perceptible lift.

I have tried just this. It tastes like TCP/listerine. Great for sore throats, and clears the sinuses. I was very suspisious when someone said it was tasteless, so I did an experiment. I past around either lumps of the fresh fungus around or the brewed liqour, and found to about in one ten people it is accutaully tasteless. The fresh fungus does yeild a liquid when fresh if it has recently being frozen, it didn't make it taste any better to me. the tribes that had been recorded as consuming it are from very cold areas (russia, finland) so prolonged cold may effect the taste. The ice mummy that had a pieces of the fungi on a string around the neck, had the pieces examined buy a mycologist not a an ethnomycophagist.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Thanks for the helpful & interesting replies folks.

I've got a lump of polypore drying out in the house now (having taken off the spore bit - presumably the darker underside bit?). I'll try it out as tinder when it's ready.

As to eating it, I reckon that 'foam mat' description seems pretty accurate, so I don't think I'll bother!

Cheers all,

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE