Water filters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
To carry on the topic regarding carrying water..

I see mention of people carrying water filters with them. What is the market like for these things? I attended an excellent talk on camp hygiene and the gentleman running used some sort of ceramic device. Are these readily to available? Would they work on the normal sort of water supplies you might find in the UK (streams, canals)?

Any advice would be welcomed, along with sources to get hold of these.

leon-1

Hi, quite a few of us have filters of one form or another, Rangeing from the basic millbank bag upto the all singing and dancing MSR waterworks 2 with all of its attachments.

I would be a little wary of filtering water from canals especially if they are near industrialised areas and filters cannot remove industrial poisons from your water supply, but water filters are pretty good for streams, rivers, lakes in the UK and around the world.

Be aware that filters tend to fall into a couple of categories;

The first being a straight filter examples being the likes of the millbank bag and heading upto the more expensive (and probably effective) Katadyn systems. With these you may have to add a chemical afterwards depending on your water source.

The second is a filter combined with a chemical purifier that sterilises the water post filtration by using an active ingredient like iodine or chlorine these include the some of the PUR systems. With these you have no option about chemicals they will be in the water whether you like it or not.

The katadyn systems use a ceramic disc that is impregnated with silver and has miniscule holes in it (about 0.2 of a micron) and effectively you use a pump to force the water through the semi - porous disc of ceramic. The silver impregnation is also supposed to create a small electrical field that will hold onto small biological contaminents thus limiting the size of just about anything that can get through. Katadyns were (and probably still are) on issue to the world health organisation.

The PUR type systems use a filter and chemical mix normally in two stages (filter then purify with chemicals), with these you will also be forcing water through a a fine filter, but at the end they then run it through chemicals (anything that is nasty and biological gets zapped by the chemicals should they get through the filter), the down side can be aftertaste.

Availability, most good outdoor shops sell them, Blacks, Feild and Trek, Taunton Leisure and quite a few others sell them, cost on the other hand can be excessive depending on what you buy, the Katadyn Pocket Filter is probably the most expensive, followed by the MSR with all of its attachments, PUR and then the Katadyn Mini filter so on and so forth.

It is worth looking at the overall cost of the filter, how many litres will it filter before needing to buy replacement cartridges, how much do they cost, what sort of flow rate are you going to get from them are all things to be considered and of course how much is it going to get used.

The British Army have got by using Millbank bags for years they are cheap, easy to use and about as robust as you can get as they have no working parts to break. I carry one as a backup and they are in the end probably one of the most tried and tested methods of filtration going. In the end there is only one thing to remember about them and that is don't forget to sterilise the water either by boiling or by adding tablets or drops, in the case of iodine, to the water post filtration. If you after one of these look at strike force supplies or on e-bay as they appear on there every now and again for less than £20.

I hope this will be of some use.:)

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
msr filter does not have chemicals to kill bugs, atleast not that i'm aware off. Pre-mac makes filter which does that. MSR's have just ceramic/carbon filter elements. Unless they came with something new...

water filters are readily avaibile: i own more than i ever need: katadyn mini, katadyn camp, pre-mac PWP, gate keeper, First need, group and one person model of millbanks.

K

KenC

I can recommend Pre-Mac filters. I used the standard one (about £60) in the Malaysian jungle in September and it was great. It's more expensive, per litre, than the others, but it's very compact, ligtht, and easy to use. It does both filtering (via charcoal) and treatement (ISTR iodene) in one go. Pumping a litre through takes a couple of minutes.

Ken.

leon-1

PC2K said:
msr filter does not have chemicals to kill bugs, atleast not that i'm aware off. Pre-mac makes filter which does that. MSR's have just ceramic/carbon filter elements. Unless they came with something new...

water filters are readily avaibile: i own more than i ever need: katadyn mini, katadyn camp, pre-mac PWP, gate keeper, First need, group and one person model of millbanks.

Yep quite correct and I will change my post to reflect as such, my apologies, seem to have got my wires crossed on PUR Explorer and the MSR for some strange reason:eek: .

leon-1

KenC said:
I can recommend Pre-Mac filters. I used the standard one (about £60) in the Malaysian jungle in September and it was great. It's more expensive, per litre, than the others, but it's very compact, ligtht, and easy to use. It does both filtering (via charcoal) and treatement (ISTR iodene) in one go. Pumping a litre through takes a couple of minutes.

Ken.

Ken I agree that the PreMac is a good bit of kit, but as you say it is more expensive per litre, add to that the cost of the replacement cartridges and it starts to get very expensive indeed. They have a lifespan of 500litres which is quite small in comparison to the likes of the MSR and the Katadyn Mini and a far slower flow rate.

The Katadyn has a flow rate of half a litre a minute, the premac is 200ml a minute, the premac does 500 litres before replacing a cartridge, the Katadyn will do about 2000 Gallons, @ 8 pints to a gallon that is 16,000 pints or 9090.90R litres which would then make the PreMac very expensive to operate even with the cost of a seperate chemical purifier (if you require it).

leon-1

PC2K said:
i think PUR purifiers are no longer availible because they weren't going to pass new standards a few years back.

Yes and no, Pur were taken over a few years back and the technology that was used in thier filters is now used in some of the filters made by the company that took them over (Katadyn), I think if you look at the Back Country range you will see the similarities.

I have a Pur Explorer as well as the Katadyn Mini, I have used the Pocket filter, but I could not justify the cost for personal use, I have also used most of the PreMac range and the MSR's before they became the EX versions and of course the old favourite The Millbank Bag.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i have the msr waterworks and i'm very pleased with it. it screws directly on to my water bladder/nalgene bottle and has a reasonable flow rate (1l/min)
the cheapest place to get them i've found is e-bay.com from a seller called "mickies place"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE