Water bottle cleaning tips

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Does anyone have any?

I have three 58 pattern bottles and they all have stubborn residual odours. I've tried bleach and bicarbonate of soda, separately, and the smell won't budge. Next on the list is vinegar followed by lemon juice. If they don't work I'm kind of stuck.

I don't want to replace them as they're about £10 a pop, so any advice is welcomed.

Cheers guys.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks guys.

They've spent the last two nights topped up with a strong bleach solution, with only marginal results. It seems the Milton followed by bicarb is giving better results. They're starting to smell much better now.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One thing to remember is that plastic bottles will always have a 'flavour', perhaps we would all be better off using 1 litre aluminium drinks bottles instead

(before its mentioned 1. you won't go radio rental drinking from aluminium flasks and 2. the lining if any won't flake off take over your DNA and make you grow two heads).

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Milton and a good scrub with a bottle brush

Dried hung upside down in the airing cupboard to get every last drop of moisture out then stored with the lids off

Seems to do the trick

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Can't believe no one has said Steradent - the tablets people with false fangs use to clean them up in a glass overnight. Just pop a tablet pr 2 inside a bottle full of water and it will bubble away cleaning the innards. If you're my age though you will look a little odd to the checkout girl buying a tube of it! Must think my teeth are dropping out at the tender age of 24 :p

Another tip might be to flush it with boiling water, pop it in the dishwasher or store it in the freezer between trips. A mate of mine swears by flushing out his Camelback with water straight from the kettle and then popping it in the freezer, the cold temps act to stop any germs from doing their thing.

Didn't realise a dent could spoil a lined aluminium bottle. My Sigg that I use pretty much every day is covered in dents and bruises and the like, sort of a badge of honour... Still tastes okay though!

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I use the steradent as well the milton is ok as well, I use the tablets as i find it the most convient way of doing it. Just put a couple of tablets in, do not put the lid on, fill with water and leave overnight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE