Water Bottle/Canteen obsession.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I just have what's really needed.
And as you see I am no collector because important and interesting models are missing here:

1 Wehrmacht, the good pre war pattern
1 identical police, fifties
1 Soviet standard
1 US GI, ALICE pouch
1 current French like that
1 older French, alu
1 BW with mugs
1 BW without mugs
8 Swiss 96

But, believe it or not, I sometimes fill them all in one rush and empty one after the other. Didn't have yet so many guests for coffee in the field though. But well, I didn't become 60 yet.

Edit:
If I think about I probably should get a few more until then. Especially the Brit with two cups! And the Soviet parachutist version. And ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo and Crowe

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
4 Platypus 2 litre bottles
3 metal water bottles (2 are Dave Canterbury)
About 10 58 ptn bottles dated 1979 onwards
1 us pilot flask

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Laurentius
You don't need to murder someone.

You just have to convince them to send you the bottle to Britain and that you are willing to pay the additional price for the hassle:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I usually carry a 3L platypus but I do enjoy using and carrying the Keith Titanium canteens. I ended up with two after a late night boozy eBay session when I bought the second. I've used it often over fires to 'make' water.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
How to make water would be a probably very interesting thread. Do you just fill two dry bags with gas and carry them in your rucksack until you become thirsty?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
To cut down on weight and space, I always take dehydrated water with me.
Once you reach your destination all you have to do is add water to rehydrate it.
I think Cotswold used to stock this but it was only at the start of spring For one year. Do you have a reliable supplier?

Reactions: Erbswurst

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I've not seen it in Cotswolds myself, but it's easy enough to do for yourself.
Just fill a suitable sized container with water and then put it in the oven on a low heat.
My preference is to air dehydrate it. This works a treat on a warm, breezy, day. In actual fact, you can prepare more doing it outside and then you can store it for when needed.
I store mine in the boiler cupboard, to ensure it stays dry and doesn't absorb any moisture.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've not seen it in Cotswolds myself, but it's easy enough to do for yourself.
Just fill a suitable sized container with water and then put it in the oven on a low heat.
My preference is to air dehydrate it. This works a treat on a warm, breezy, day. In actual fact, you can prepare more doing it outside and then you can store it for when needed.
I store mine in the boiler cupboard, to ensure it stays dry and doesn't absorb any moisture.
Great tip, we should get this moved to the Resources thread, Mods? anyone? anyone?

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
I've only a couple...

2 widemouth nalgene 1ltr
1 nalgene oasis 1ltr
3 osprey bottles
3 or 4 750ml insulated metal bottles

I have a problem.

Most of the time I'll roll with 2 ospreys (one specifically for cooking) and the nalgene kidney bottle for on the go. I don't really use the round bottles anymore as I find they're not comfy in pockets or don't nest with my crusader cups.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Reading through these I realise I have a problem. :oops:

I could make a small raft out of mostly plastic bottles. :confused: I do have couple of leather costels amongst them however.

My wife melted my pilots flask, that was a great piece of kit. Ideal for a pocket without being too bulky. If I had to choose between the two……

Reactions: Minotaur

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
I would murder for one of those Sig bottles :) I only have the plastic Swiss bottle and the aluminium one that comes with volcano stove. I like the plastic bottle though as it is a handy size and shape to stick in a pocket and the cup that comes with it is handy for a brew. I have also made a leather pouch for it.
Self reliance outfitters have got a stainless steel copy of the sigg coming.. Not sure when, but it's on my list too

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Last edited:

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
My always carried in the day pack is water are:

fold-a-cup and titanium straw. I try not to drink directly from most of my water bottles to avoid contaminating them. No idea if that actually makes a difference?

1x square Finnish canteen, I like the clip to hang and sometimes carry is, the lid lanyard pops out if you lift it by that. This is the back up/cooking bottle.

1x nalgene oasis. I do drink from this and decant into it. I also carry it as I can put any left over hot water into it.

plus a 10L can in the motor.

I used to help out on DoE expeditions so I was always being asked for top ups at check points! Handy when being the "family soup kitchen" on a day out. :)
In the summer I do work outdoors teaching water sports so I have bottles I can dish out to each student, people seem to forget about dehydration when they are wet.

Even so the list is slightly embarrassing when I think about it.

10 L ish collapsible bottle
4L collapsible bottle
3L source bladders (some?)
2 quart usgi canteens (some?)
4x camelback 750ml bottle
2x nalgene wide mouths
3x metal double wall bottles, the offspring don't like warm water :rolleyes:
6x usgi 1 quart canteens/58 canteens
3x more nalgene oasis, although I don't own a coyote one yet... :cool:

This is the stuff I know I have and where it is. I dare not rummage in the garage. I am honestly not as bad with stoves......

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Sigg 1 litre in insulated pouch in rucksack or belt rig
Half litre US pilots flask in urban carry haversack
Half litre Oxfam collapsible flask in jacket pocket
Two empty litre Platypus bottles in rucksack filled at overnight camp or reserves in very hot conditions
Sawyer mini filter with its squeezy bottle also in rucksack
One litre plastic bottle in campervan fridge

I get migraines if dehydrated. Should be ok if I keep this lot filled.

Reactions: Ozmundo and SCOMAN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE