Watches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I don't generally wear a watch when I'm out in the brush, but I do need one at work. Much of my work is outdoors and I need a watch that is robust and can take some knocking about. For years I've worn cheap Timex brand watches and they are good for a year or two - after which the chrome wears away, they rust, and the rouch edges cut up my shirt cuff and wrist.

I need a watch that is stainless steel, has a large face, can be seen at night, and has a normal old fashioned face (two hands and numbers). I don't need a watch with a lot of gadgets or a calender. If I need to know what day it is - I'll go back the the office or call the dispatcher.

Any suggestions?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pierre,

I use a Seiko kinetic - never needs batteries (which always go when least convenient I find) or winding (which I forget to do). I never take mine off to be honest - been on my wrist for about 5 years now - looks like it did the day Fiona bought it for me.

Red

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
take a look at the st-moritz pathfinder, I have a titan II on order but if you are looking for "a normal old fashioned face (two hands and numbers)" the pathfinder would be the one

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
pierre girard said:
can be seen at night, and has a normal old fashioned face (two hands and numbers).

The ultimate in visibility is the Traser watch. They are expensive though and I have no experience with them...

Hope this helps,

Bjorn

leon-1

Trasers are good, but in the end why bother just get an issue watch if you want a basic one.

Pierre the one at the bottom of the page is the current issue one It has it listed as the Issue G10 2000 watch. Ask anyone that has used one they do take a pasteing so you could do a lot worse.

You could also look at the H3 product range, look for nite timepieces and model MX10, they aren't cheap but they will do the job.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
British Red said:
Pierre,

I use a Seiko kinetic - never needs batteries (which always go when least convenient I find) or winding (which I forget to do). I never take mine off to be honest - been on my wrist for about 5 years now - looks like it did the day Fiona bought it for me.

Red

I also use a Seiko kinetic. Great watch. The downside is that the numbers and dials can`t be seen at night.

Tor

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've got a huge interest in horology and I even befriended an old watchmaker in my city before he retired. He taught me a thing or two that I'll never forget.

Anyway, if you're looking for a watch that you can use in the bush, here's my six-thirty in the morning while I'm still drinking coffee opinion:

1) Seiko's, even though they're "bottom of the barrel" automatic and kinetic watches are just too nice to bang around with in the bush. I've got a nice little Seiko, and last night at work I banged it against a chair and for a few minutes I was literally frozen with fear that I had broken it. (Luckily I didn't)

2) St. Moritz watches are really nice, I have a buddy who was in one of my classes this past semester with one. They're bl**dy expensive though and I still wouldn't risk going bushcrafty with one.

3) Casio G-Shocks are just....incredibly durable. I honestly don't think you could break one. (Well at least not easily) No harm in getting one of those.

4) If you're the type of person that despises digital watches (like me) and you want a really cheap, really durable mechanical watch that you can beat the heck out of, treat like dirt and not have to worry about it when you're in the bush check out Vostok. . They're really low priced mechanics from Russia, and they used to be the official timekeepers of the USSR. Trust me when I say they're durable, I've heard stories of construction workers dropping them fifty feet onto concrete without breaking them. And people going scuba diving down to 150 feet without breaking them. And the best part? They're under $50 dollars. And they keep good time!

Adam

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
leon-1 said:
Trasers are good, but in the end why bother just get an issue watch if you want a basic one.

Pierre the one at the bottom of the page is the current issue one It has it listed as the Issue G10 2000 watch. Ask anyone that has used one they do take a pasteing so you could do a lot worse.

You could also look at the H3 product range, look for nite timepieces and model MX10, they aren't cheap but they will do the job.

You'd be paying a premium for that CWC because its Chronomaster, its the newer version and its unissued, the previous one with the battery hatch can be had off ebay for £30-40 and its basically the same watch, IMO neither version is anything special, I prefer the earlier mechanical versions but they are becoming collectible and probably not the best beater.

The Vostoks are ok but the movements can be a bit flaky, theyre cheap and cheerful and some of them are interesting but I wouldnt expect them to last indefinately, build quality is not all that.

Bang for buck Seiko is hard to beat, I picked up a 2 of these for £30, they can be found new for around £40 each, very tough auto movement, simple US military style dial layout. The newer ones have glass backs though unfortunately :(

seikomil.jpg

seikomilback.jpg

If you want something really tough I would suggest checking out the Seiko 200m auto divers, the classic SKX007 or the black monster etc, bombproof but not a small watch

Available here at excellent prices

Chrponograph.com

The above all have day/date which you specifically dont want, getting one without a date isnt difficult depending on your budget, you can get a custom sterile no date dial fitted to any of the current Seiko's from Bill Yao here

Bill Yao

Bill also sells his own range of watches which are well worth a look

Or you could go for something like the Speedbird, dressier, more expensive, not as tough as the Seiko diver, based on the IWC Mk 11 pilots watch

3706.jpg

From here, check out his other watches as well

Timefactors

I should say Im strongly biased against quartz but quartz works fine if thats what you want, there are countless other options, have fun searching!

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll second Timex explorer.

Cheap but hard wearing - I've got the cheapest one (after losing the posh one), climbing, surf, work in it no problems. To make it worse i'm left handed and wear watches on my left so I tend to scratch them alot - no problems with the Timex though.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i have owned hundreds of watches either died or smashed so the last one i searched all over i ended up buying a g shock in new zealand because the one before died whilst i was out there that was last summer and it still looks new and going well ! all the others would have died before now even dive watches good job i use a dive computer as a back up.

my 2p

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
benjamin.oneill said:
CWC £100!

I was offered one by a friend once for £30, stupidly didn't take it but I found this little gem of a site:

http://www.babcockdisposals.co.uk/S...ckSupportServices/Categories/"Watches/Clocks"

I intend to order one as soon as I have the spare money

Ben

Why not treat yourself to one of these if you feel like splashing out?

http://www.babcockdisposals.co.uk/S...abcockSupportServices/Products/B0000000022477

That CWC is a silly price IMO but as I said its the later version unissued through a dealer, the snap back is arguably a downgrade from the previous battery hatch versions but the watch looks identical and the earlier ones are readily available for around £30. Bear in mind the MOD probably paid about £4 each for those things.

I have Seiko divers from the 60's that have been abused and are still going strong. Theres an interesting Seiko dive watch test involving boiling water and freezing in a block of ice here:

Seiko test

And for those still not convinced there are plenty of testimonials from special forces types, saturation divers, with tales of helicopter crashes, explosions, you name it here

http://www.makedostudio.com/watches/seiko-divers/index.html

I like Seiko's :)

Or if youre feeling flush, the ultimate beater would be a 5513 no date Rolex Sub :)

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I've the cheapest model Traser which I bought discounted down to 30 quid and I'm very happy with it. The novelty of the illumination staying very bright all night never ceases to make me smile. I've seen a Traser P3 on ebay for about 40 quid which is similar to mine.

I've also got a Lorus kinetic watch and the second hand fell off whilst I was running at the weekend. Its no more than a couple of years old so once I find their address its going back.

Mark

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE