Pocket watch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
So I’m not a fan of wrist watches and I’m think since I like carrying a few preciouses in my pocketses I might try a 1/2 hunter type pocket watch. Anyone use one or recommend one. Something robust and windable would be a Brucie bonus, you know so I’m not relying on satellites or batteries when the world as we know it come to a halt.

Cheers

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Sadly pocket watch technology lags behind wristwatches. When I was in my twenties I used to use an 1880 silver pocket watch that you had to wind up with a key, there was actually a shop in Coventry that could repair these and I had a new spring made, however that won't happen any more.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Best join a horological forum. They will give good council and members often have pieces for sale
- and reputations to back them with.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I've been searching for the last two weeks and one of the biggest problems as noted above may be the ability to service and repair one if needed. I'm going to keep looking but compromise may have to be a low profile manual wind wrist watch instead.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest you can get repro mechanical pocket watches ranging from a few quid to quite expensive. There are still watch repairers capable of repairing old ones as well but you may have to post if off depending where you live.

The other option is to use a standard wrist watch mounted in a watch belt dangler.

Here's an example but by no means a recommendation:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE