Watch out the Viking Longboats are coming or Follow that Whale

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
A mate lives as a Viking doing leather work and making shields, etc, so I did these strikers for him while finishing off some other commissions

TheVikingsarecoming.jpg

As per normal, although novelty effect, they spark with a strong stroke as well as with a glancing blow ;)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Nice, can the Mouth's be used as bottle openers?

Didn't think of that.....but the next lot may :)
I was just waiting for some steel to get very, very hot and spotted some file offcuts so started playing and these were the results. Meant I was another hour outside though.

Bottle openers....bottle openers......watch this space

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Got it in one. Mick and Debs are flat out at the moment
Mick's done my leather work for........cripes......the last 17 years. To think he's 2nd generation as well as his dad taught him I believe.
SWMBO wanted a new slip-on leather back on her wheelchair. He walked up with a bit of string (baler twine) out of his pocket :yikes: , measured the width, put a knot in the string and said it would be ready next week.:confused:
Went back and we had to wet it to slide it on. Been perfect for the last 3 years :cool:

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Cool, thought so. Glad they're keeping busy. Micks leatherwork is awesome. I may have to give him a project soon....

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I'm not surprised to be honest, its good work he does. Got a belt of him in '97 at Shudy camps rally, its still excellent after years of biking..

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
True, but just wait till you see - "The SAK whale striker bottle opener spork" he's working on ;)

Close (stop giving me ideas), but this is something I knocked up last night while SWMBO was watching Brucie dancing.

Trivetprototype2.jpg

Its made from 15mm x 3mm black steel. It is 270mm wide and stands 250mm high. It folds to 45mm high and weighs 850 grams (no it's not titanium - I wouldn't know where to source it from :))
It could of course, be any size you wanted.
It's only had it's first coat of spray, so you can still see odd bits of almost bare metal. I have no idea why I sprayed it when it's going on a fire, and I didn't just coat it in vegetable oil, as I would normally do.

It is just a prototype based loosely on the one on RM's site that he can no longer source from Africa. I may change the inner support bars to make it a little lighter.

I put the biggest pot of flowers we had in the garden on it, to make sure it would take the weight of a dutch oven, with no ill effects.

Trivetprototype6.jpg

I put the bars in the middle so if you needed to make a cuppa in your billy can or lid you could.

It all folds flat so it will go in a back pack, etc.

FoldigTrivetPrototype10.jpg

Price will be £25 inc PayPal (as gift/money owed) and PP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE