Washing with limited water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, this may sound stupid to a lot of you but what's the best way/ routine for washing when you're out and you have limited water (eg no rivers near etc) I remember seeing a program once where they were washing from only a small mess tin. Is there any procedures to follow when there is limited water to wash with?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I find wet wipes bearable for a couple of days, any longer than that and I use a concentrated soap and cold water.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
take 1 towel, take 1 mess tin of water, using the 4 corners (and the centre 3 inches) of the towel, wash in this order:

face, feet, pits, privates, backside

then dry with the remainder of the towel, this tends to take care of the most active/odourous areas of the body.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Cheers that's helpful as I remembered something about a mess tin but couldn't remember exactly what they did

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There is a product called "Pits and Bits" that is a rinse free wash - works OK too :)
Available from Casstroms amongst others.

Sep 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
As a field medic, every time I was asked this my reply is pretty much what most everyone has said with one addition.

1. hands
2. teeth/mouth then rest of face

Then as lister put it:
feet, pits, privates, backside

then hair, rest of body.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I usually follow the LD hiker approach - live with the stink until reaching town - after a while you stop noticing it on yourself and other LD hikers - day hikers however smell of soap and deodorant. The only exception is that I do use a little rubbing alcohol on hands and pits as needed.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
With limited water aviable as well shaving goes out the window if needed especially in certain environments.

But wet wipe wash is the the norm for a lot of squadies. Pits 'n' bits is a good product I have used it myself.

The sequence that has been said is still the best; face, feet, pits, privates, backside.

do not forget to use powder as well especially for your feet trench foot is no laughing matter.

I am currently on an exercise at the minute, with a lot of people so stinking is not an option and manage to get a shower every couple of days, but everynight wet wash happens. powder feet evry night and morning

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I remember a reference, from where I don't know, that the British army in the North African campaign were trained to wash with a mug of water at most. I remember tips on Woodlore's camp craft course talk about using exfoliating gloves to help clean yourself. I've used the Water wipes myself and did so on Woodlore courses I attended.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Most serious hikers aren’t to fussed about stinking as water is a valuable source..however we’ll grab an opportunity to bathe if it comes along.
I’ve never had an problem when in the woods as there’s always water by forms of condensation what can be mopped up of the flysheet(just be careful of the chemicals they use to waterproof it)or morning dew of the grass with an absorbent micro cloth.(it’s amazing how much water you can get).
Disposable wet wipes & a roll on deodorant comes in handy too.
Hope this helps.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I usually follow the LD hiker approach - live with the stink until reaching town - after a while you stop noticing it on yourself and other LD hikers - day hikers however smell of soap and deodorant. The only exception is that I do use a little rubbing alcohol on hands and pits as needed.
This is very true & one I’ve followed for years.
Have you noticed how sweat from stress stink’s really bad & sweat from doing what you enjoy doesn’t smell to bad.. unless I got used to it?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Just last weekend this thread came up and I looked what is my usual amount of water used for washing in sauna (at cottage, no shower). About 5 l.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I remember a reference, from where I don't know, that the British army in the North African campaign were trained to wash with a mug of water at most. I remember tips on Woodlore's camp craft course talk about using exfoliating gloves to help clean yourself. I've used the Water wipes myself and did so on Woodlore courses I attended.
One exfoliant glove, with a bit of cake soap in the glove, saves you losing the soap.

E-Cloths work quite well in the short term, they will strip the grime off your face with just a little water, no rinsing needed, but after a while they do need their own real wash to clean off all the gunk they have removed from you.

A 2 litre Dromlite works very nicely for washing, the dribble spout is very economical, so you can wash pretty much everything that you would ever want to wash with that 2 litres. Hang the bag from a limb and you have a sort of shower.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE