Warning - malware on 'greenpete.co.uk'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
FYI

I was just having a browse around and got this warning

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for greenpete.co.uk

What is the current listing status for greenpete.co.uk?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this website may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 11 pages that we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 4 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time that Google visited this site was on 2010-02-14, and the last time that suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-02-12.
Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including teristorinc.com/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS13237 (LAMBDANET).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, greenpete.co.uk did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:
Return to the previous page.
If you are the owner of this website, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Centre.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Malwarebytes is a fantastic tool, and the only thing which picked up some malware that I picked up some months back. Nortons couldn't even find it, and certainly didn't block it. Some malware knocks out your anti-virus software so it can't update, and thus uncover the nasty, so malwarebytes is now standard on my machine, just in case. The best thing? Its free.

However, the same nasties also tried to stop malwarebytes from running, so try renaming the exe. file something else , which will allow it to work, and at least quarentine the malware. Hijackthis also get high marks from majorgeeks and other sites.

Frankly, after that experience, I'm seriously thinking of changing to a Mac, for so many reasons.

K

Kinky-Minx

Morning All, :)
I'm sorry if I appear a little thick, I don't really understand computer technical stuff, but this seems like it's important. Please could someone explain, in not too technical words, what, if anything I should or shouldn't do about this?
Also, would it be possible, in future, if anyone posts a thread with this kind of info for someone clever to explain simply what we 'non-tekkies' might need to do? :confused:
Thanks loads,
K-M XXX

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Malware bytes is a very good program, also remember if you do get malware and you can't seem to run programs or browse the internet, remember to load windows in safe mode, you can still download/install malware bytes or any other anti virus program from there ;)

spybot can be useful but it can be somewhat aggressive.

another tool which is useful is the "autoruns" from microsoft, this allows you to look at whats booting up on your pc when you log in.

and also the macafee "stinger" (google it) is a little self contained anti virus/worm scanner.

when all else fails AVG is a very good AV program and well worth the download ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Morning All, :)
I'm sorry if I appear a little thick, I don't really understand computer technical stuff, but this seems like it's important. Please could someone explain, in not too technical words, what, if anything I should or shouldn't do about this?

it's a bit of a complicated thing to get into here really, but in essence run you anti-virus program (i.e. Norton)

It's worth seeking a techy, geeky friend that can go through it with you.

Also, would it be possible, in future, if anyone posts a thread with this kind of info for someone clever to explain simply what we 'non-tekkies' might need to do? :confused:
Thanks loads,
K-M XXX
again quite a technical thing, for a bushcraft site, I'm pretty much in the same position as you, in essence go to the suggested download, click the download button, follow the instructions, and let it do it's thing, it took my computer about 20 mins for it to find the baddies!

Most people here are nice!;)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I might have picked up malware off facebook a few minutes ago, something suddenly started downloading itself. Im running avg at the moment, but its currently not found any threats - which is what it usually seems to say so I dont feel satisfied. Any tips?

K

Kinky-Minx

Hiya,
Thanks for the advice. I've been sent details of what to do, so hopefully I won't have any problems!
Happy Camping!
K-M XXX

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE