Wanting rid of me?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im starting to wonder if my nieghbour is trying to get rid of me! after speaking to him about beach camping,(he's also seen me whilst out on his boat) i said to him, id love to get down to a certain beach where there's a large waterfall but you cant get down to it i said.
''Of course you can'' he said and preceded to tell me the route,i checked it out on uk weather maps satalite picks and it looked plausibe so off i set this morning,

first pic shows the perfect weather although quite cold with some frost still on ground.

flopday001.jpg

next is Coldingham loch about looking back at it having past it on my route,

flopday002.jpg

Finally reached my location, this is where the stream flows over the approx 200ft shear drop to make the water fall(although you cant see it from this pic)you can see south end of beach below.

flopday008.jpg

now i headed for the place i was told you could get down to the north end of the beach then walk round to see the waterfall, below is north end of beach,

flopday003.jpg

Now this is the so called route down, i made it to the part in the pic where the valley part narrow's then called it a day,

flopday006.jpg

having been told this was a easier place to get to than my usual beach, i can only come to the conclusion that he either thinks (A) im part goat,(B) He want's rid of me!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It don't look too good from the pics Andy, wise choice turning back mate.

Ask him to show you the way down one day and you'll cook him lunch in return.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ithink i will ask him to take me by boat, the only fast way down there is via two broken legs as far as im concerned. Like i said i made it down to the valley you can see if pic its steeper on the otherside, wasnt taking the risk.Shame co's it looks a good big bay and there is plenty of drift wood for a nice fire.

this is the waterfall i was trying to get close to,

chickenpicks024.jpg

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Soloman,nope no mates that have any climbing gear or experiance, i have abseiled myself but only twice many moons ago. I think you would'nt need to abseil so much as have a rope on for confidence or in case of a slip then it could be done, shame really as i love going to places that are seldom used by other's and this is one such place.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Soloman,nope no mates that have any climbing gear or experiance, i have abseiled myself but only twice many moons ago. I think you would'nt need to abseil so much as have a rope on for confidence or in case of a slip then it could be done, shame really as i love going to places that are seldom used by other's and this is one such place.

In that case, there is a technique you can use with just a rope for negotiating steep inclines. It isn't any good for straight down abseiling but is perfect for descending slippery or slidey inclines up to 45 degrees or so. You would need a fixed point at the top though.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cobweb)Thanks v much.

Phill ue yep id need some sort of anchor point mainly tufty grassy slopes,there are some rocky outcrop's,maybe some sort of screw in stake/peg?

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Cobweb)Thanks v much.

Phill ue yep id need some sort of anchor point mainly tufty grassy slopes,there are some rocky outcrop's,maybe some sort of screw in stake/peg?

No handy trees or boulders? You'd als want to make sure if you did use a boulder that it doesn't start to roll down the hill towards you when you put weight on it!:eek:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
looks a great place, are there areas of the beach above the high water mark? be great for a camp... no dog walkers to tut at you! :)

looks like a good anchor point at that outcrop to the right of the pic when looking down the "narrowing valley" as described :)

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
youll have to hint at the os grid references, heading up your way (well the firth of forth on the fifth) for a couple of weeks, so could be nice to stop over to break the journey up

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
As luck would have it i may be out that weekend myself currently planning stage, pm me nearer the time and i will give you some details, but im about 50 miles south of Edinburgh
just off the A1 so would'nt be much ot of your way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE