WANTED Use of Tree Surgeon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My friend has a tree she wants removed.

She is in Holmfirth.

She has no money, and I will confess Im short, I will pay your petrol, and I have a load of bits to trade.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Tengu, What sort of tree is it? maybe an advert in a local free newspaper for free firewood might draw some attention. There are a few people who will cut it for free if they get to keep the firewood.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i wouldn't try the free firewood advert. this will likely attract the sort of moron who thinks because they have a chainsaw they are a tree surgeon.
i would like to help if i where local.

Jackdaw

One of the problems that you might have in attracting a trained tree surgeon to do this job for free is just how expensive it is to be one. I'm a trained tree surgeon and to be fully qualified to dismantle a tree you will probably have need to have at least a couple of years of experience, all the kit (climbing gear x 2, tree saw, ground saw, method of disposing of tree waste), completed all the courses (quick estimate - £5000) and have the necessary insurance which will be invalid unless you have a second qualified climber with you.

It's quite a risk for someone to take on. That said, and being the kind of altruistic chap that I am, If I was closer I would at least have a look for you. Good luck, but don't be surprised if no-one comes forward to take it on.

Jack

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not likely to be good indoor firewood I'm afraid. Very resinous. I bet it's a leylandii.

Also known as "mile a minute!" Usually follow the sun too so are a nightmare to bring down.
We did a neighbours two and I can still smell the resin a year later! Took a very large tractor trailer to take it away.
The timber is very rot resistant, still have two big rounds in the garden in great condition.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Also known as "mile a minute!" Usually follow the sun too so are a nightmare to bring down.
We did a neighbours two and I can still smell the resin a year later! Took a very large tractor trailer to take it away.
The timber is very rot resistant, still have two big rounds in the garden in great condition.

Have you tried making a bow out of it? It's an odd wood. The resin is foul - but as you say it very rot resistant and for a fast growing tree it seems to be fairly dense. We dug ours up instead of chopping them down (a row of 8 footers). They don't root that deep so once we'd cleared the bases and cut through the tap root they came out fairly easily. Makes a great hearth for a fire bow set.

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Have you tried making a bow out of it? It's an odd wood. The resin is foul - but as you say it very rot resistant and for a fast growing tree it seems to be fairly dense. We dug ours up instead of chopping them down (a row of 8 footers). They don't root that deep so once we'd cleared the bases and cut through the tap root they came out fairly easily. Makes a great hearth for a fire bow set.

Would like to have tried a bow from the heartwood which looked very nice. But a hell of a lot of work to get to it. Sapwood would be pretty poor I imagine.
I believe there were ancient laminates made from similar woods backed in birch, memory failing me now.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Would love to help Tengu, but I live very far away and am in no fit state at the moment. Hope someone comes forward. Just make sure they know what they're doing as even a relatively small tree can do a lot of damage to a house. By the way leylandii used with coal/anthracite in a stove is very good for a heat boost and if seasoned doesn't clog the pipes.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Swright an unckle chiseller could well be your Huckleberrys.
Does she need it diggin out ? fuel and a few bottles of real ale gets it felled and removed......fuel and a bottle of decent malt sees it felled, removed and trunk dug out to a reasonable finish ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Swright an unckle chiseller could well be your Huckleberrys.
Does she need it diggin out ? fuel and a few bottles of real ale gets it felled and removed......fuel and a bottle of decent malt sees it felled, removed and trunk dug out to a reasonable finish ;)

Sounds like an offer to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE