WANTED: Tarp for shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Not one of the cheapie woven plastic ones, but rather a decent nylon type.

I was thinking maybe 12'x12' - got a forest trip coming up next week and it's gonna be raining!

Thanks!

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
It's ok - I think I got this sorted. Thanks!

12x12 is just perfect for covering our campsite - but I guess we could go smaller...! :rolleyes:

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Actually 12x12 isn't excessive for a hammock. Think 6 foot tall with 18inches at top and toe gives 9 feet. That leaves 18 inches overlap at each end. If the tarp is mounted 1 metre above hammock then you probably have only half the end cover during blustery rain.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Actually 12x12 isn't excessive for a hammock. Think 6 foot tall with 18inches at top and toe gives 9 feet. That leaves 18 inches overlap at each end. If the tarp is mounted 1 metre above hammock then you probably have only half the end cover during blustery rain.

Aye, agreed, it also means if it's windy you have tad more dry room/space. Rather than having to lower the tarp right down.

Nick

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK

I'd assume you'd go for a diamond configuration in this sort of weather, to give maximum protection - albeit with a loss of 'working area' under the tarp...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

12x12 is just perfect for covering our campsite - but I guess we could go smaller...! :rolleyes:

Take 2 or more tarps and build a bender type shelter if there are the materials about ;)
My self and lightfoot moved ours recently to a place without a stream running through it :rolleyes:
You can have a small controlled fire in the middle (very dry wood pref hardwood and large stones to retain heat and keep the fire in place) that or we cheat and use a converted gas bottle as a wood burner :eek:

They take about 3 hours or less to build and besides the tarps they can be made from all natural materials. Take the tarps home with you and the shelter can stay in place. Due to its contruction i cant see it being a danger to anything or anyone.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Take 2 or more tarps and build a bender type shelter if there are the materials about ;)
My self and lightfoot moved ours recently to a place without a stream running through it :rolleyes:

Thanks Dwardo. What is a bender type shelter? Can't find one on google, I suspect it's not commonly known!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London

I think the Hennesy hex ultralight is a little bigger than the standard hex and might do the job for you.

Else you could try and get hold of a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 ( they also do it in 9 and 16 )
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0038273517301a.shtml

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/servlet/the-1322/Kelty-Noahs-Tarp-12/Detail
In sale until 20/1/08 at $43.16 so unfortunately just over the ammount that you have to pay duty on, hence a delay in receiving and be charged about 30% tax and a £8 admin charge at the UK end ( you get charged the %30 on the P&P too :( ) unless your very lucky.

A bit light in colour but the nearest I know of to your specifications. Also as it's cantenary cut coverage from the center is only about 5' 6" to the nearest edge in 4 directions.

Trouble with both the Ultralight Hex and Kelty is I can't find a UK supplier so doubt you'd get one in time, unless it doesn't get stopped at HM customs. I guess if you know someone in the US they might be able send you a secondhand one as a gift, which will obviously be worth less than the £18 which is the point at which Customs start taking an interest, so arrive in time.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Guys I got sorted with Sandbag - ordered a DD Tatp 3mx3m. Think it will fit the bit.

Cheers for all the help. :beerchug:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry if its too late but ill post a few pics in out and about later ;) spend thrusday and friday there and even i the wind it was a steady 27 Deg c at night :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE