WANTED source for light weight breathable fabri

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
I am looking for a supplier of lightweight waterproof breathable fabric for a project i want to do.

I will be using it to create an under blanket for a hammock. I am planning on using a goose down filling to improve weight and insulation properties. I thought that if i could use a waterproof outer for it than that would protect it against that rare thing we have int his country.......rain and allow me to use a poncho instead of tarp??? Maybe.

Cheers

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi there,

Two things to consider about your project. Down compresses very nicely ( why it's so good at packing away), so if using it under you it will compress and have little of no thermal properties, also the fabric covering would have to also be light ( as it is on down bags) otherwise it will again not loft. It's why down bags need a very good matt under them, and why the only real good down lightweight mat is the Exped as it is airtight and so allows the down to loft due to it's self sustaining structure.

Cheers
GB.

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hi, thanks for the quick replies. I was under the impression that an under blanket slung beneath the hammock but taking no weight would not have compression issues, as opossed to using one directly under you which does lose its thermal properties because of compression?

Also, i suppose i should have asked for recomendations as well.

The general planis to make an under blanket like the snugpak one but with a waterproof breathable outer and goose down insulation?? Dont knoe if it will work but am going to try any way.

Cheers

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi, thanks for the quick replies. I was under the impression that an under blanket slung beneath the hammock but taking no weight would not have compression issues, as opossed to using one directly under you which does lose its thermal properties because of compression?

Also, i suppose i should have asked for recomendations as well.

The general planis to make an under blanket like the snugpak one but with a waterproof breathable outer and goose down insulation?? Dont knoe if it will work but am going to try any way.

Cheers

Opps sorry, my bad, an under slung blanket would be OK as you're right it has no pressure on it. :tapedshut
GB

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Hi greeneggcat - as you mentioned the word 'coccoon' you may wish to search for threads relating to a Snugpak hammock item which was designed by a BCUK member and sold to others, including me! The Coccoon is effectively an underblanket and more - it completely covers the hammock and doesn't have the compression problems associated with 'normal' sleeping bags when used in a hammock.

I'm very happy with my one, and although it contains synthetic insulation it may well give you a few ideas on how to perhaps proceed with your own project. Try searching for 'Snugpak Coccoon' and you should find plenty of discussion...

Cheers,

javi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE