WANTED! Real fur lined hood for M65 fishtail parka.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Anyone not using their scooter parka hood!??
If it has a real fur lining at the front it may be what I am after!
Long shot i know!
Cheers.
Chris.

the laird

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2006
DK
It would have been better if you asked on monday mate,I threw one out tuesday,of all the c**p I keep hold of this got chucked

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Fella!!
These things happen mate!
Picked up a mint M65 ( arctic fishtail parka.. As you know!! )
Top bit of kit, having been to the arctic twice- and fallen in love with it,
this has the makings of a good,windpoof parka.
cheers for the thought tho.
Chris.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
A hood with either the original Wolf or coyote fur
or one that has these retro-fitted!
Hope that makes sense!
My best.
Chris.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I know Martyn! Tempting tho.isn't it!!
I saw a fishtail with the real wolf fur used to good effect in the Swdish Arctic last year
to good effect and it got me thinking! Looked great as well!
Cheers.
Chris.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
:lmao:
Pricey, but this is what you're after...
http://www.fishtailparkas.com/Wolf_Fur_Hood_Service.html

I've been tempted to have the wold fur treatment done to mine, but I just cringe at the cost.

wow.......wow....ok.

I'm looking at a hood and it would be a pretty straight forward retro-fit. 2 minutes with a seam ripper and the synthetic ruff is off, becomes a pattern for the new fur of choice. Drop it off at a local seamstress or have a go at hand-stitching.

Took about 7 minutes to pull the old one, had to do it :). Now I need to find some fur, stitch it on, and I'll have myself a $225US parka......:lmao:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
:lmao:

wow.......wow....ok.

I'm looking at a hood and it would be a pretty straight forward retro-fit. 2 minutes with a seam ripper and the synthetic ruff is off, becomes a pattern for the new fur of choice. Drop it off at a local seamstress or have a go at hand-stitching.

Took about 7 minutes to pull the old one, had to do it :). Now I need to find some fur, stitch it on, and I'll have myself a $225US parka......:lmao:

Hard to get the Wolf or Coyote here tho fella!
Hope it goes well for you!
Cheers.
Chris.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
The older M51 hoods go for about $50US, saw one listed as wolverine fur,:dunno:. There are probably as many or more of the old hoods in Europe as in the US; was a long Cold war.
Could you maybe import a coyote pelt?, should get a couple ruffs out of one I'd think. Even scraps could be pieced together. What about a different fur? Fox maybe? Feral cat would be better than whatever synthetic thing that is. I'm thinking raccoon fur maybe. Could tails work?

The hood looks ok with no ruff at all, parka now looks like an oversized field jacket. It is a really decent parka and the hood is so warm. I was just a little shocked at the prices on that site. I have no idea what import fees and shipping would run but these parkas (M65's with the synthetic ruff) go for $40-50US retail on average.

If you can't find one Chris, and have to have one, let me know and I'd be happy to help source one (the old hood) for you, or with coyote fur if you go that route.
atb
Clint

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Kind of you Clint, it looked a bit daunting to un-pick the horrible white ruff
on mine as it had been over sewn with a line of stitching where the face flap
comes across the hood, ( right hand side when wearing it! ) At the moment
I have just shaved it right back and hope to get/make a fur ruff that I can button on!?
(what thinks you?? ) so I can take it off if I need to launder the jacket and hood.
You are right about them being a good bit of kit tho mate!!
My best.
Chris.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Yeah, that flap does begin to become unstitched, no biggy, it'll stitch right back up. I think buttons and button-holes may be more work than just stitching one on but I do like the idea of a removeable ruff.
The hoods alone are so incredibly warm and the wool lined pockets in the parka shell are a real nice touch.

Those tiny snaps can be sewn on by hand, :dunno:. Since the hood is removeable, is it possible to launder real fur by hand maybe?

I've more pressing and less fun projects to take care of first but I'll be on the lookout for some local ruff material. :)

Good luck with yours
Clint

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Chris, for less than $20 you can get a whole Coyote pelt from this place.

http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Dressed.html

I used to have a M65 fishtail with the real fur hood when I was in the US Army. The old genuine fur ones had wolf fur, not coyote but the fur is similar.
Never saw one with wolverine fur, don't think there was ever one unless done by an individual after the fact.
Wolverine fur is perfect for a parka ruff because the fur is unique, the hairs being tapered from base to tip and the accumulated frost falls right off. Before wolverines were considered endangered many arctic parkas had wolverine ruffs. Nowadays everything is some synthetic.

The furrier above sells wolverine hides but they are not cheap! Not sure if you can import some furs either, you may want to check into that.

Hope I was of some help:) Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE