wanted fuel bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Go to the shop and buy yourself one of those little bottles of pop. They can handle loads of pressure and don't leak. Drink the pop and wash it out then write fuel on it with a marker pen. Chuck your meths in and chocks away. Buy Spam a pint next time you see him for saving you a tenner! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
hi all
Stijnb
problem is i bought a big bottom can of it aprrox 5 litres which is a bit big to carry about about with me
Spamel that is a genius idea and i will buy you a pint if/when we meet up

want no longer wanted
thanks very much
Sam

I was only kidding about the pint! Nice gesture though! Sometimes, we get so hung up on that expensive bit of kit that we don't see the obvious cheap yet adequate alternative. Plus, it's keeping that bottle out of landfill, so you're doing a good job!

Autumn Stone

Jul 16, 2007
East Sussex
Hi Sam Hows it going.

For meths I use a trangia fuel bottle. It's a pain forking out a tenner but before I had that I used to take the bottle the meths came in then end up chucking it in the recycler. I've had my bottle for about 2 years and its still in perfect nick. You have to watch the pressure though if you ve,been out hiking all day in the sun, the meths sometimes squirts out pretty fast, as it did all over my kit. If its been hot, best to unscrew the top a little first. Ive got a 0.5 litre bottle which lasts me about 4-5 days if carful but that all depends on wind conditions and how many meals your cooking on an open fire rather than the stove.

Got the DD Travel Hammock through the post yesterday, went straight up the woods after work, was getting dark but got it set up pretty sweet. Your gonna have to check it out at the first aid course. I think I could do with a bit more messing around to get it just right. Its so comfy though nearly fell asleep. Didn't take my tarp with me to check the sizing out. I have a british army basha and got a feeling it might be a tad short for the hammock. Gonna set it up later if i finnish work early enough.

Take it easy

Matt

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Go to the shop and buy yourself one of those little bottles of pop. They can handle loads of pressure and don't leak. Drink the pop and wash it out then write fuel on it with a marker pen. Chuck your meths in and chocks away. Buy Spam a pint next time you see him for saving you a tenner! :D

Spam, glad i read this post, you just saved me a tenner mate. lol I'll buy you a pint for the suggestion.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If anyone is interested I have lots of empty pop bottles at £10 each plus postage.Ideal for carrying meths.LOL

having thought on this a little more i think i might bodge some form of being able to tell the difference between the bottle of pop i have taken out with me and the bottle of meths in a old pop bottle, possibly a big ring of gaffa tape round the meths one so i can feel it when rootling about in my bergen late at night. a mouthful of meths would spoil my day i suspect.
regards
Sam

MancsMan

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2008
Manchester
I use aquarium (flat) treatment bottles, bright yellow 100,250,500ml, if you know anybody who keeps fish your quid’s in, good strong bottles, with a window measure on the side…

Autumn Stone

Jul 16, 2007
East Sussex
I usually get confused, drink the meths and burn the pop. At least the woman at the shop gives me my 10p back for my return bottle and Ive now made my £10 back. Had to drink alot of meths though.

I'm still sticking by my £10 trangia bottle. Maybe its because I got sucked in to buying one. Or maybe its just because Its reliable. I used to use the bottle the meths came in and pop bottles but I have had trouble with them leaking before in my rucksack. 4 or 5 days treking in 30 degrees may have made it leak.

Hey Sam, only 25 days left. Awsome!

Take it easy guys

Matt

Matt
there in lies the wonders that is gaffa tape :)
reliability is a major factor but i dont really get much chance for trekking so its more to contain it for a short stomp in to where i am staying that night

25 days indeed, thats 25 days to bug the hell out of everyone i know with my excitement :)

regards
Sam

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
I've got a bottle kicking about you can have aslong as you cover the postage. I think it's in the loft and I dont use it, so it's yours when I get it down.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Go with the Trangia bottle and safety pourer, worth it just for the convenience of the pourer. As said, if its very warm, open the screw valve and push the pourer button to vent any warm air pressure (won't spit fuel if the bottle is upright). Nothing wrong with the bottle the meths comes in, but the plastic is a lot weaker than the Trangia bottle which will take a pounding without leaking so for peace of mind they are worth their cost. The safety pourer you can get on its own for about £4, will fit most standard metal bottles, even the cheapo Karrimor you can get for a couple of quid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE