Wanted: Crusader-style lid to fit US and Canadian army canteen cups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Hey guys,

It's been quite a while since I've posted, but I'm sure that at least some of you will remember me. Anyway, I've been looking to find a metal lid that will fit my Canadian army canteen cup. Making brews on a beach in late February and early March without a lid for my brew kit uses up more hexy tablets than I'd like and I think that a lid would help me cut down on fuel consumption. A windscreen helps, but I think if I added a lid to the equation that would really be the ultimate.

Anyway, I know that there some posters out there who have made and sold lids to fit Crusader-style cups, but sadly, the US and Canadian army canteen cups are quite different in their shape.

If anyone out there knows where I can find one, I'd appreciate it greatly if they would get back to me on this. I won't have time to check the forums too often for replies to this post, so I'd prefer if it PM's could be sent to me regarding the lid.

Thanks, guys. (and gals)

Cheers,

Adam

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I had the same problem
I think my mug is dutch
I experimented with making various lids
2 were particularly successful
The first involved simply cutting open a beer can and making a lid from that a bit flimsy though
the second was using an old foil pie dish as material which is a bit sturdier in fact there is a fair amount of variety in thickness if you examine them
Simply use mug as a template add approx 1 cm or more a bit of judicious folding and snipping a fair amount of experimentation and Bingo a lightweight lid for free
Easily replaceable if need be
A handle is easy simply make a hole and use wire
The lid hugely reduces boil time and fuel consumption

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
I tried a slightly different approach rather than mak a lip on th eoutside I did on the inside. The aluminum I used is scrap from work and is too brittle to bend or hammer form. I simply traced the cup on to one piece and then traced a line using a compass(divider) set at around 1/4 inch. I cut the pieces using a bandsaw but could have used a jig saw I drilled three holes one for the handle which is a piece of sheet metal folded over with apiece of coat hanger. The other two holes were to keep the under piece from spinning(I think just the handle would have worked until the rivet loosens I did three to balance things out)

UScanteencuplidbottom.jpg

UScanteencuplidtop.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE