wanted big folding knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
How about an opinel? I think the big'n I have is the nubmer 12. The thing is huge, best off in the pack and keep a smaller one in the pocket. No where near 40quid and you will e left over with enough to get youself a laplander saw, and perhaps a nice axe (if you don't have them already).:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The Gerber Gators are good solid cheap folding knives. Not seen them for sale in a while but i think they were within your price bracket.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
i am looking for a big locking knife 5 to 6 inch single blade ( not a cheap one) want it for bushcraft stuff so a heavy blade and sharp. i have £40 cash ready to spend . thanks

You may find you will need to compromise on one or more of those requirements.:(

• Folder
  • 5-6inch blade
  • bushcraft use (so no semi serrated tantos etc)
  • strong construction (heavy blade)
  • Good steel that takes and holds a sharp edge
  • Budget £40

Not one single knife, other than the Opinel, comes to my mind as anything like fullfilling all of those requirements. Its a tough to near impossible spec, unless you buy second hand, in which case you could be waiting a very long time for just the right knife to come up for sale. Even if you buy direct from the US and dodge duty its a tough one.

Gerber and Columbia River Knife and Tool might have something which would be suitable for bushcraft, in a reasonable steel, and in your price range, but I think you will strugle to find one that big. Cold Steel do some big folders, but only like one or two in that size, and none are really all that great for bushcraft, they tend to design for defense. Even if money were no object the size is going to prove tough to find in combination with the other features. If you were happy with something in the 3.5-4 inch range there is a lot more choice at all prices.

What's your thinking behind this? What sort of stuff do you hope to use the knife for?

A lot of people don't rate folders for "bushcraft" but I have carried one for so long that I find that I will reach for my folder for lots of little jobs before reaching for a fixed blade. However, these are things like opening packets, cutting cord, trimming twigs, a little whittling and slicing up some food. That doesn't tend to be what most folk regard as "bushcraft". I have had talks with more than one instructor who has related tales of people bringing folders on courses and inspite of them being supposedly big, tough and capable knives, they have managed to destroy them by battoning prying and splitting. I don't use folders for those things and have yet to find one whose handle can compare with a fixed blade's for comfortable carving over the long haul.

Last edited:

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Have yopu tried Framar in blackburn

I called in today and he has a large collection he is splitting , I picked up a couple of Buck copies for next to nothing

Worth a trip as you are local

Steve

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Glad to hear you sorted. :)

Third hand Benchmade, sub 4-inch blade and AUS8...good catch! ;)

My first "good" folders were Cold Steels with Aus8 blades and they would take a wicked edge. Not such great holding, but tough and easy to sharpen, and the whole package was so much more handy than what I was used to, what with the pocket clip and one-handed opening. Hope it works well for you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE