Wanted - arrowheads

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Hi all,

I had a play with an Atlatl this weekend and am going to have a go at making one.

I have had a trawl of the net and am struggling to find an arrowhead with a sufficient diameter socket fitting. I am looking for about a half inch socket fit. No blades or fins on the arrowhead - just a straight 'field point'.

I have contacted one or two sellers who say they could make one but I am sure there must be something around.

Cheers in anticipation

Colin

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Thanks for the offer Dave. Unfortunately I am not (would love to but busy with work). Can we chat when you get back - I may be going to the Midlands Game Fair if you are there.

Colin

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I too am very interested in some specs for atlatls.
I tried miserably a few weeks back to make the arrow but i just couldnt get her to fly.

any "pointers" appreciated :)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I used the screw in heads off some old Crossbw bolts thatI had been in the back of a junk cupboard at my archery club. A few minutes with a hacksaw & I had a plastic insert 2" long (that was inside the bolt) and a number of screw in archery field points of various sizes. I drilled in the end of the atlatl, glued in the insert & then experimented with different weights of screw in heads until they flew OK. Hope that helps. Have a look at this link for ideas:
http://www.hoddywell.com.au/ARROWCOMPONENTS-POINTS.html#RPS POINT ADAPTOR FOR WOOD SHAFTS

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Thanks for the replies guys. Neumo I will have a look through the info - much appreciated. Dwardo, I'm new to this game as well but one of the key things I have picked up is that the dart itself needs to be flexible. I was taught how to throw one very successfully made from a piece of half inch B&Q dowel. About 6 feet gave it a good flex to absorb the throw. Link below to some useful info.

http://www.primitiveways.com/dart_Baugh.html

Dave thanks for your offer of help, pm sent.

Regards

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE