Want advice on a making sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
For a deeply sculpted handle, like the one shown in these images, what would you recommend?

This is the first time I've made such a handle, and I don't have a lot of experience making sheaths.

img_0066_cropped_small.jpg

img_0065_small.jpg

img_0064_small.jpg

img_0063_small.jpg

img_0067_small.jpg

K.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Perfect! I was asking myself the same question. as I have the frosts training knife, I also have the same problem. The knife itself is fine. nice to cut with. but the plastic sheath is a bit flimsy. anyway. I want to make a leather sheath but the problem is the fingersafetythingy. ( don't know if it has a name, same as the plastics on the end of a shoelace;) )

So the question actually is: what would ppl here recommend on making a sheath for a knife that has a lot of bumps?

000-Frosts-Swedish-Army-Knife.gif

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If you think the difference in thickness between the blade and the handle are so great that wet moulding isn't possible/sensible, why not make a stacked leather sheath with fillets behind the welt to allow for the thickness of the handle? This design will allow the knife to sit squarely and safely in the sheath but will almost inevitably need a retaining strap or similar device as the handle will tend to make the rig top-heavy. Witha larger knife you can do away with the strap (if the knife is a really good fit to the sheath) as the weight of the blade keeps the rig upright.

A sheath like the one I made some while ago for a bowie demonstrates the stacked sheath with fillets behind the welt and blade quite nicely. The extra little "sheathlet" built in for a sharpener is, of course, optional.

Attachments

• BowieSheath2.jpg.JPG
    BowieSheath2.jpg.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 73

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Geuf said:
Perfect! I was asking myself the same question. as I have the frosts training knife, I also have the same problem. The knife itself is fine. nice to cut with. but the plastic sheath is a bit flimsy. anyway. I want to make a leather sheath but the problem is the fingersafetythingy. ( don't know if it has a name, same as the plastics on the end of a shoelace;) )

So the question actually is: what would ppl here recommend on making a sheath for a knife that has a lot of bumps?

I did just that, there's a pic of it in my gallery : Oh, no there isn't, hold on ..... now there is :

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1173&cat=503

KnifeSheath1.jpg

As you can see it has a popper closure to hold the knife in, rather than the friction fit that seems to be generally preferred here. Works well for the mora, but wouldn't work for every knife - depends on the handle shape.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Just made this for an awkward shaped Nessmuk ( still needs waxing and polishing).

But here it is with the Frost's in it to give an idea of how it would be held in a similar sheath, although obviously the "body" of the sheath would be narrower and follow thew outline of the mora more closely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE