• Other type (please state on thread)

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well I am getting withdrawal symptoms since I stopped doing Group Buys. So I am now working on something that was mentioned a long time ago. Won't say anymore yet as I have some more research to do. Two things I would like to know from you all.
Firstly what sort of hammock do you have?
Secondly, as there are now 198 of you with underblankets and 31 with quilts. Are you all satisfied with the product?
I want this next product to be better than the others, thats why I need your informed feedback.
Yes, I know there was a thread about feedback before but I want your latest thoughts.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Ian
just to let you know I am very satisfied with the underblanket which I have used allthrough the winter, and it has certainly cured my hammock bladder. I have only used the quilt on its own on one occasion and it kept me warm all night. However I have used it on more than one occasion to supplement my sleeping bag on the colder nights which it did really well. The combination has allowed me to be comfortable in my hammock all winter including the recent snow we had, thanks yet again for all the hard work you put in, looking forward to new developments ?

:You_Rock_

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I've got the quilt and the underblanket, both superb bits of kit. I've found it warm enough down here when overnighting on the bank, which is handy because trying to get out of a hammock and a sleeping bag combo to land a fish at 3am when your half asleep was a little tricky, whereas the quilt can be thrown to one side as I stumble bleary eyed onto the bank. I do use woolen undies though.

It also doubles as a nice cosy wrap as I sit watching the water of a daytime.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Magikelly Hammock

The Underblanket is superb, a revelation infact.:cool:
A good night's sleep is guarenteed with one of these.
Didn't go for the quilt.
Not so sure that if that such a good decision.

Very interested to hear about the new project.
Can't wait for more info.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I have a DD travel with a home made underblanket and a sleeping bag for over the top. If I can get another wool blanket, I'll be using two wool blankets :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
3 GB hammocks from early group buys.
I use homemade pods as I simply can't afford to buy the quilts and underblankets to go with all 3 for the rest of the tribe.
Very interested in your project though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a RM eco sleep system (got it for free!) and have used it from sub zero to jungle conditions with no quilt or underblanket, just a tapered self inflating mat and a sleeping bag to suit the conditions.
Never yet had a bad nights sleep in it that was not caused by excess booze!:rolleyes:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
DD Travel with Kathmandu 3x2.5m (I think) Ripstop Tarp. Thinking of going canvas tho.
I liked the underblanket for ease of entry/exit and used a 3season type down sleeping bag like a quilt, but I was ending up getting inside the bag to keep warm this winter, so back to termarest and -20 something North Face bag, and no underblanket.
Prob just me tho as not as fit as I was and I find I get colder easer, which SHMBO laughs at after all the years of taking the P##S out of her 4 layers inside a warm house.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I use the DD Travel and though I have a 3x2 and a 3x3 DD tarps I mostly use my Hex-fly as it's noticeably lighter.

I also have a home-made insulated hammock/under-blanket but it's too heavy and bulky to use for all but near car camping.

I missed all of the group buys and bought my Wanderinstar under-blanket and quilt from Woodland Edge, they've kept me warm on several trips out already. I love the unrestricted feeling of the quilt though if I were to make one change it would be to increase the width by about 6 inches.

The only thing I'd add to my set-up is a weather-shield, a single layer of DWR fabric to make a shell around my hammock, or at the least to keep the bottom of the underblanket dry as I've noticed it getting a little damp from spray in heavy rain.

I use as follows:

MK hammocks x 2 for the wife and kids
Paradise double (much bigger comfier than the MK but twice price) x 1 for me

1 x USMC 3m x 3m cammo tarp
1 x Tatonka 3m x 3m SOTP group buy tarp
1 x MOD Basha

2 x underblankets BCUK group buy

The only reason I didn't buy the quilts x 2 was the size, I'm a big guy and sleep on my side in a hammock, they would have to have been much bigger for me I'm afraid, plus I'd use them as sleeping quilts when not hammocking.

WS

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
I use an Hennesy with the underblanket and the quilt, at Smartys meet in cornwall i had to use a 4 season bag and the quilt!, my camp buddy Shocks was using the underblanket system on his mosquito hammock along with a decent bag, niether of us had any problems sleeping, even in the cold, we did have a a snifter or two though.

Adam.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
mk group buy hammock
group buy underblanket
nanok -10 bag

love the group buy underblanket, found it a lot more comfortable in the hammock when i ditched the sleep mat, like the cosy feeling when the hammock wrapps around, was toastie at the december middlemud meet using the blanket, but felt the cold on the last one, i don't blame the kit though as i was ill for the following week with a chest infection, felt a bit rough on the last night so appologies if i was a bit quite round the fire.....think i'v got off topic....blanket excellent if a bit bulky to carry, especially with the added bulk of the nanok bag but don't mind that if i'm warm :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE