New person

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joco69

Jun 3, 2021
Crawley
Hello everyone! I'm a new person here. I am a Hungarian, I have been living here in England for a long time. I really like hiking in nature, but I don’t know what the rules are here in England, what forests can bushcraft hike for 2-3 days? I don’t want to pay a fine if I possibly hiked in a privately owned forest and someone would punish me there. I would like to ask if there is a list in England that shows me where to go hiking for 2-3 days and now I am not thinking of camping but of a forest with a stream nearby. Thank you in advance for all your help, Joseph.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Welcome to the forum Joseph :)

There's a difference between 'walking through' and 'staying over'. There are plenty of places you can walk through woodland and along riverbanks but, without landowner's permission, you are not free to 'overnight' along your route in most cases.

However, get hold of an Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 scale map of the area you would like to walk, find public rights of way and small campsites marked on the map, and plot routes from camp to camp. There are loads of lovely routes you can follow 100% legally. There are good websites of small campsites allowing open fires etc. too; you will usually be able to find rights of way walks around the countryside of such sites.

It is generally accepted in the UK that you can camp above the top fence/wall line in upland/mountain areas but this isn't a legal right.

crosslandkelly's links are a good starting point though.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Hello everyone! I'm a new person here. I am a Hungarian, I have been living here in England for a long time. I really like hiking in nature, but I don’t know what the rules are here in England, what forests can bushcraft hike for 2-3 days? I don’t want to pay a fine if I possibly hiked in a privately owned forest and someone would punish me there. I would like to ask if there is a list in England that shows me where to go hiking for 2-3 days and now I am not thinking of camping but of a forest with a stream nearby. Thank you in advance for all your help, Joseph.
There is a barrister out there on YouTube who calls himself the Black Belt Barrister, who has posted good information about wild camping and other matters of interest to some in this community.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE