• Other type (please state on thread)

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
If I'm guessing correctly what your next project is Ian, I think it will depend on the length of everyone's hammock. Or even if it was designed around a standard toploader like the group buy ones, which aren't too expensive.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I have a magikelly hammock which I love. I had some good zzzs out in the woods this afternoon as it happens.

I made my own underblanket from a Snugpak Softie 9 so my feedback comes from that POV.

I was put off the group buy ones by the weight and expense. I reduced weight by making mine only cover the pressure areas (shoulders to thighs) along the same principles as a 3/4 thermarest. It is also only wide enough to cover these areas and doesn't cocoon as far around the sides as the GB one appears to in the pictures.

I've slept out a few nights well below freezing using this with a -5C Ajungilak Kompakt bag and it works nicely but only weighs about 800g.

Thought you might like to consider this.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I've also got the RM Eco system. I've had it about 4 years now, it's not the cheapeast but I'm very pleased with it, the tapes are plenty log enough and easy to undo your knots from, and the internal pockets are very useful.

Combined with the Wanderinstar's group buy under blanket it's superb.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
MK hammock and the GB underblanket used with one of my many sleeping bags! The only thing i would consider changing on the Underblanket is to add a draw cord to either end so that you can bunch the end of the underblanket around the hammock. I often feel a slight draft from the ends, nothing bad but it would be eliminatred with a draw cord. Apart from that, it's a great bit of kit. I have two systems using them, one for me and one for the kids when i take one of them along. Therefore, i need the larger tarp at some stage so that we can both get underneath!

I too have a range of hammocks:

Army surplus hammock / stretcher
DD Travel (mk1 version)
Hennessey Deluxe
MK

Decorum

I have recently got an 'undercover & underpad' for my HH. This fits below the normal set-up to fit in the insulation (some included, but allows for more) whilst maintaining a way to get in & out.

I've managed to get it up to fit it & 'play' with, but as yet have not had a suitable opportunity to really put it to test.

The good thing is that you can pull the underpad (the insulation) out and the undercover stays on inside the snakeskins.

Hope this helps.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
MK group buy hammock.
Underblanket and quilt from group buy.

Didn't have a chance to try them out until last weekend, which happens to be my first ever camping with hammock.
Had an excellent nights sleep.
Very pleased indeed with everything.

/ Karl

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
.....I have recently got an 'undercover & underpad' for my HH.....
I've been tempted by this set-up too (possibly with the addition of the overcover) - but if something that was fairly adaptable to multiple systems came along I'd (probably) bite the hand off at the shoulder; especially if it could still be used when I have to descend to ground level. :D I don't ask for much do I? :D

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have a Paradise Hammock. It is very much like the ones Magikelly gets and was the one he got himself originally before finding a cheaper supplier. The Paradise ones are a wee bit longer and I think a wee bit wider but other than that, they are identical. I have two in fact, one for me and one for my grandson. We are very happy with them.

Eric

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have one that I got from Andy Wood at Bushcraft Expeditions which is, I believe, something like the British Army ones. It's very good: comfortable (aren't they all?), strong (don't they have to be?) and light.

I also have a Hennessey - can't remember which one - but it doesn't get selected as often as Woodie's version.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I use the DD Travel and though I have a 3x2 and a 3x3 DD tarps I mostly use my Hex-fly as it's noticeably lighter.

I also have a home-made insulated hammock/under-blanket but it's too heavy and bulky to use for all but near car camping.

I missed all of the group buys and bought my Wanderinstar under-blanket and quilt from Woodland Edge, they've kept me warm on several trips out already. I love the unrestricted feeling of the quilt though if I were to make one change it would be to increase the width by about 6 inches.

The only thing I'd add to my set-up is a weather-shield, a single layer of DWR fabric to make a shell around my hammock, or at the least to keep the bottom of the underblanket dry as I've noticed it getting a little damp from spray in heavy rain.

How about a doubled over BA Poncho underslung?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Moskito Traveller, GB underblanket and a bright orange and yellow from the same manufacture as MagiKelly's Group Buy which I got dirt cheap in an end so season sale at a French Suppermarket a year or two before MK first GB. I was so tempted to get one of his just for the fact that the colours are more muted.

That said bright orange is a lot easier to find if you have had one or ten to many around the campfire ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE