Walsh enforcer boot review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hi there
I have been wearing these boots for 6 or 7 months now, so I thought I would do a review.
I purchased these boots from http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/WAL14/walsh-enforcer-lightweight-waterproof-trail-walking-boots/ (no connection just a happy customer)
Just as a start off I will split the review into 2 parts, the first, using the boot for walking, and the second, using the boot for running.

Walking
I really like this boot. It is very comfortable and light so it is no burden to wear them, this means that I can do pretty much whatever I want with them without aces, pains or blisters. They are so light that I wear them regularly to just simply walk down to the shop.

The grip on them is exceptional! It uses walshes "pyragrip" sole unit which is usually used in there fell running shoes, these boots can handle most things! In fact the only thing on which the boots really slip is smooth, wet rock like limestone, and this is due to the fact that this style of aggressive tread is usually used for fell running through heather, wet grass, mud and bogs.

Another good thing with these boots is the waterproof membrane. It is very good for a pair of boots that only cost 40 quid. It kept out water whilst running through 2-3 miles of Yorkshire dales moorland and bogs with only the slightest leakage on the ball of my feet where the boot creases with walk/running. Also the boots are a snug enough fit to avoid the vacuum effect of wellies or loose fitting gore Tex boots. Don't get me wrong, these boots are not wellies, so if the water gets over the top, you WILL get wet feet but the level of waterproofness did surprise me for such a cheap boot. They also seem to breath quite well, although I don't tend to get sweaty enough feet to truly find out.

The level of ankle support is more than enough for general hill walking/trekking but for dessert use or other extreme environments where calf high boots are needed, get the right tools for the job.

The fit on these boots is very good for me. Although I have quite narrow feet so try before you buy!

Overall these boots are great for walking, hiking and trekking whilst also being light enough for the ultralightist backpacker who wants extra support over a trainer or approach shoe.

Running Let me start this part of this review by saying that when I say running, I mean fell running, these boots are not really suitable for road running and definitely not for track running Although I have not run any massive distances in these boots, I will be using them for the Saunders lakeland mountain marathon next year and will update the review accordingly. But for the running I have done in them, these boots have been fantastic.

They are not the lightest running footwear on the market (most inov8's are lighter) but for me this is no real issue as these boots have more benefits than negatives. They were certainly light enough for my run up penyghent on Saturday.

The waterproofing on these boots is what sets them apart from most other fell shoes, keeping my feet warm and dry where my dads new balance and my mums inov8's failed. I found this a pleasant surprise as I was expecting the usual sieve like nature of running footwear.

For most fell running the grip on these boots will be more than adequate, but for extreme lakeland fell races and the like, a more aggressive sole will be needed. They are very slightly less aggressive than a standard Walsh fell shoe, to give you something the scale them against.

Another thing that sets these apart from normal trainers is the added support offered by the boot style of them, perfect for anyone who is prone to ankle injuries like my dad.

Overall as a running shoe I would recommend these, but with the proviso that they should not be your only pair of fell shoes but an option to choose from when selecting footwear for a race.

In conclusion, would I recommend these boots, yes, definitely. They are a great all round footwear for the British climate and terrain. For me the fit is perfect but I do, as mentioned above, have slender feet. So please try a pair of these on before committing to a purchase. Definitely my choice for the zombie apocalypse :p
Any questions please ask
Pictures to follow

Sent using the force

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks for the review, only just noticed it. How are they for sizing? I'm size 10.5 in most shoes but my NB road shoes are 11.5.

I'd be using them for trail and fell tracks with some muddy fields as well. Was looking at inov8's but might go for these and adidas kanadia's - same total price!

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the review, only just noticed it. How are they for sizing? I'm size 10.5 in most shoes but my NB road shoes are 11.5.

I'd be using them for trail and fell tracks with some muddy fields as well. Was looking at inov8's but might go for these and adidas kanadia's - same total price!

Hi there
Mine are a size 11 and I tend to be roughly a 10.5, but saying that, you really should try them on before buying
I also have a pair of kanadias, I would recommend them for all but the most serious fells, very comfy shoes

Hope this helps
Ben

Sent using the force

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks. Tried Kanadia's on today and loved them, size 11 felt great. Wasn't going to part with £55 for them though, I'll order a pair online for them£35.

Will try Walsh's next time I'm up at Pete Blands in Kendal.

Most my running is on gravel tracks/grass/mud/tarmac which the Kanadia's should cope with, there are some good fell runs (Clougha) near here which the Walsh's would be better suited to though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE