walking the dog torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Hi Guys

Well i have decided that i am tired of walkign through the mud with muts with the trusty LD20 as my light source to keep an eye on them. So i am after a decent long throw torch. I want to avoid the cheap and nasty half million candelas ones in the super market, they take ages to charge and the build quality is terrible

Your suggestions please :)

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Hi Guys

Well i have decided that i am tired of walkign through the mud with muts with the trusty LD20 as my light source to keep an eye on them. So i am after a decent long throw torch. I want to avoid the cheap and nasty half million candelas ones in the super market, they take ages to charge and the build quality is terrible

Your suggestions please :)

What about those cree ones from tesco? Also put a reflective harness on the dogs - much easier to spot with a quick swoop of the torch than a plain black dog. (Tesco do them too (harnesses not black dogs))

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
will have a look but im looking for a BIG boys torch, something that can give me a decent beam over half or more of a football pitch.

reflective harness is a good idea but the muts hate them.

leon-1

What sort of price range??

Might a dive light be an idea, they are very bright, water resistant, normally quite robust?

If the price is no worry look for something like the Streamlight fire vulcan LED or the LED Lenser X21.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I just put a light ON my dog.

I bought her a cheap LED light that attaches to her collar and it works great.

I got a red one as it is highly visible but doesn't give off a blinding beam, it works a bit like a rear bicycle light. It's waterproof and has been holding up well in the rain.

Because she's black and can run quite a distance I was always losing her in the dark, even when searching for her with a blistering L2D on full beam. The collar light has solved my problem although she does still manage to vanish for a few minutes now and then.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I've just got a Romisen RC-N3 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9070 from Dealextreme for £10.70, and its a cracking bit of kit for the price. Cree P4 led, 2xAA batteries, and three modes (high, low & strobe). Very good build for the money, O-rings, etc.

There is always the moded one from Shining Beam http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-53/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-CREE-Q5/Detail, but your talking closer to £20 all in.

Or you could try Blacks - my local branch has (I assume) ex stock from the closed branches, with 'gift' stuff up to 75% off. Got a little led light for £3.50 instead of £12.99, and they had a 2XAA Maglite LED for about £17.

Then there's always the 9 LED torch from Poundland.....

screwball

Nov 12, 2007
scotland
Depends on how much you want to spend but I manage about 70-75 yds with my Tesco 2C half decent spill too .The 2D one will give a good spill and a few more yards
The only thing with the 2D is it's a bit bulky and won't fit in your average jacket pocket(barbour 's no sweat)I personally use the 2C for taking my pest out after dark
Sorry buddy I have just read the rest of your post if you want to spend some serious cash I have had some great results with the Fenix TK11 ranges out to about 150 yds this is just a guesstimate the light is good quality cool white .Not so much that it flattens everything out but if you prefer incan like light I would have a look at the TK20 it has shown some good results for throw and the warmer led is closer to incan .A plus is that it will run off 2AA re-chargeables or alkalines in a pinch
Good luck with your search

Last edited:

screwball

Nov 12, 2007
scotland
i know it's a bit beyond your stated budget but the EAGLETAC MC something or other seems to fit the bill .The neutral white seems to give the best colour rendition outdoors

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Christ on a bike, how much light does a person need to walk a dog?

Either a mini Maglite with an LED conversion or a Petzl Tikka plus here.
Our dogs almost totally black but why do I need to know where he is anyway? He knows where I am.
If you keep losing the dog then spend the extra cash on some dog training.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
will have a look but im looking for a BIG boys torch, something that can give me a decent beam over half or more of a football pitch.

reflective harness is a good idea but the muts hate them.

Not going to recommend lights to hang on your dog , even though it's Christmas! Mine had a flashy LED thing on her collar and kept running into things, it's distracting and not what you're looking for.

The Eagletac M2XC4 recommended above will fulfill your 'big torch' needs. There are now 4 options on this. Single P7 LED (throw and some flood), triple led etc, warm or cool. I could waffle on, have a look here,

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/eagletac.html

no affilliation etc just good service. I think there may even be a BCUK discount code which gets your price to around £100.

merman

Oct 20, 2009
south west
I have just bought Eagle Tac T20 C2 and it is an excellent torch, very impressive on high power, and comes complete with 3 light settings, strobe, pouch and set of coloured lenses and difusers.

And I must say it arrived really quickly, even though it is silly season

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice one mate. I think Eagletac are a superb brand. Their lights are really well made and perform beautifully.

We had mega-snow here last night and I travelled to work at 06.00am in the dark with my M2 out the window shining into the woods as my mate drove. We had to stop a couple of times to wander about in the illuminated wonderland. I think they're very cool torches.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE