Walking stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aza148

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
south yorks, penistone
After coming home from work yesterday I found that the missus has decided to take over the house for her makeup trials for our wedding which left me evicted for the night as they've just decided to chop a load of trees down near me to make way for houses o aren't down and stole a branch and have decided to make a walking stick from it not fully finished yet but hear you are.
ape2aruh.jpg
apunane8.jpg
zuve2u5e.jpg

sent on the road using tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Bit of sanding and some oil and it will serve you well.
Good luck with the wedding and dont worry it will soon all be over, ;) the wedding I mean not the marriage lol.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I don't know from the pic. whether you have already, but I'd recommend you put some wax on the bits which have the bark gone (ends), as this'll stop it splitting as it dries out; sap's up, depends how long it's been down................

Nice stick :)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
If you can it's worth getting next years stick.

I always have a few hazel shanks drying out. If you leave the bark on they dry out slower, at a better rate. That will stop any splitting. It'll also mean that when you remove the bark and make your carve your stick it will sand down nice and smooth first time.

Another quick tip. If your freshly cut shank is not straight you can soak it in hot water, or steam it and bend it straight. You won't be able to get the kinks out where knots are, but you'll be able to straighten bends.

aza148

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
south yorks, penistone
Thank you all for responses I'm going to be wax in it it the Morning I've just finished smoothing it today but will put some pics up once complete as I'm thinking of putting a pattern in for the grip

sent on the road using tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE