Walking stick wanted!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I am currently seeking a decent walking stick, preferbaly made from heavy tough wood incase the bagders follow me off the trail and I need to fight them off. I know there are alot of styles out there but my main focus is tough, solid and modertatly attractive so I can walk down town with it. :rolleyes:

I have been looking at Irish Blackthorn canes/sticks as they are lovely and super tough so if anyone has anything like that please let me know, I have a few things I can offer in trade.

Also, if anyone has any walking stick lengths of suitable Irish blackthorn for me to make my own I'd be interested. :eek:

Thanks for reading!

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Ive made many crooks/sticks the past,i have a lovely crook in blackthorn with antler spacer and elm top.......but the wife likes them all as a focal point in the house:aargh4:

Im sure i have some ash,hazel and blackthorn in the garage-well seasoned,approx 8 years and a new tip but will need straightening...where abouts are you??

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ivy is good as well.

Could be an interesting parcel for postie!

you mean an interesting parcel for the postie to loose? :rolleyes:

Ive made many crooks/sticks the past,i have a lovely crook in blackthorn with antler spacer and elm top.......but the wife likes them all as a focal point in the house:aargh4:

Im sure i have some ash,hazel and blackthorn in the garage-well seasoned,approx 8 years and a new tip but will need straightening...where abouts are you??

Southwest mate, near Bristol atm. how do you straighten seasoned hard wood?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Have a look at Huxley Sticks. Alex is quite an interesting chap to talk to, he'll give you some pointers on what you need.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got one of Wulf's sticks, very nice, to nice to use in fact !.

I had a couple of ash shanks deliverd the other day, & the postie was curious to say the least.

Rob

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
One of mine mate???
You bought it off corso??

I've got one of Wulf's sticks, very nice, to nice to use in fact !.

I had a couple of ash shanks deliverd the other day, & the postie was curious to say the least.

Rob

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
wulf, do you have any for sale atm? if not are you intending on making any sometime?

I would also love to see some of your work :)

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I was just downloading a piccy:D
None for sale mate as the wife is too attached to them,,im working on her':D.I have a few shanks and brass end tips...
heres a few i made,the 2 thumbstick were made by my 11 year old son,the rest by me...some getting on for 20 years old.Theres blackthorn,hazel and ash shanks,rams horn 'leaping' trout,i keep meaning to recolour as its faded a bit...antler,cherry,elm etc etc.hope you get inspiration mate.

2012_1106butlins0001.jpg

wulf, do you have any for sale atm? if not are you intending on making any sometime?

I would also love to see some of your work :)

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Samon,

Have you used a walking stick on your hikes?

Reason i ask is that i bought a wood walking stick and ended up giving it away after the first hike.
I found it heavy and tiring to walk with and an absolute nightmare to try and store when not in use.

Bought collapsible walking poles since and have not looked back.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've never used one before, and although I'm not disabled or impaired I do at times get knee ache and lower back pains when walking. I'm not old either, being in my 20's I'd like to keep the stick for years and be able to use it when ratting, walking or like previously mentioned.. beating any savage badgers (or degenerate locals).

I have made a cane already from plumb but it's nothing fancy and somewhat crude for pimping around town with. And I've fitted a section of thick steel pipe as the end cap and it's not the most attractive cane..

Is there a maker who'd be interested in fashiong me a tidy and tough cane?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
still looking :)

a decent blackthorn shank would be great, so I can make my own!

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
type in gowersponger1 into youtube i have a vid on there of some irish style sticks i made ive also just uploaded a vid of some hazel and horn sticks i made along with some catys and hiking staffs , nothing great but do the job .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE