Walking poles and sticks

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi guys,

Just wondering what sort of sticks you all carry on your average bushcrafty day out, if any. I usually take a wooden pole that I made myself, short for short trips, but longer if I plan to be out for a while. Serious trips need proper walking poles.

How about you? Cut your own as required, use the same one every time, or bought one specially?

(I wanted to make this a poll (a pole poll? :)) but the option didn't seem to be available. Tips on how to do it would be appreciated)

Thanks all.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I've got a couple of cheapy poles from Tesco. They fit nicely into my side pockets on the rucksack and also handy to make a tent out of a tarp.
P9120193.jpg

in case you can't tell, mine is the one on the right. Not a bad nights sleep as it goes.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Only recently started carrying a stick full time - a hand cut and fettled one.
I have tried to get along with commercial "Walking Poles", but I can't get comfortable having them in my hands all the time.

ATB

Ogri the trog

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i make my own, and if i forget to take one with me i just find another one regards dave

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
I use a commercial collapsible stick , I don't always want it in my hand so it's easy to stick on pack/hang from belt etc .
Cheers , Trev .

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I carry a pole, I cut the wood from a hayzle coppice carved the top a bit and whacked a empty round casing from the first firing of the Apache's 30mm canon on it. it means a lot to me. i should put a foot on it though.

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I currently use a cheap poundland walking stick that doesn't collapse but is fairly light and cheap! I would prefer to use those telescopic ones but I can't afford the better quality ones and all the cheap ones I've seen break while still in the shop!

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
My uncle, who was Welsh, cut me what he said was a traditional Welsh thumbstick from blackthorn years ago. I don't remember what became of it. I also bought a chestnut stick once.

I have used those, but really I don't like to have anything in my hands when I'm walking.

I don't have much on my feet these days, either. It always surprises me that people have a kind of association walking/walking boots, and so, so long as they're walking, they have them on whatever the conditions and weather. Round where I am is mostly chalk, and I see people up on the Downs in dry weather in high summer in them - they'll even put them on to go from the car for a short stroll. Me I wear light, flat gym shoes, usually Terraplana "Vivo barefoot" shoes with the insole removed. Where's there's short springy turf I'll even take them off. I haven't tried naked feet in woodland yet this year, but maybe I should. The less you have on your feet the more they flex, and the stronger and healthier they get - like taking a plaster cast off your arm. And because you're quieter you do see more.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Thanks for reminding me, Harvestman, I've currently got a bonny piece of blackthorn hanging in the airing cupboard. I cut it in February when the frost was still on the ground (correction, there was 3 feet of snow) and I think it's probably time I oiled it again.

I should give you a tip here. I wore leather working gloves when I was cutting my blackthorn but still ended up looking like a self-harm case. It's welders gloves you need, the type that Roy Rodgers wore while playing the guitar at full gallop!

Don't know how I'll get on with it, as I've had walking poles in the past and just can't be bothered with them. I like to have my hands free for rummaging and have always felt that a trip or hard fall might result in a sore face if you can't just instinctively throw your hands out.

It has been argued that the correct use of walking poles can reduce the weight on the knees by up to 25% going uphill and something like 40% going down. There must also be a benefit from reducing impact on the knees and hips, so something to think about in your 20's, before your knees get to the condition where walking with any load whatsoever comes with the acceptance of discomfort or pain!

Bill.

Last edited:
mine is made from a young stringybark(australian eucalyptus)tree, about 5feet long- since 5years my faithfull travelling mate, has accompanied me since then around australia +twice across, around new zealand on a pushbike, back to Oz and now to korea. it's amazing how many interesting experiences i had thanks to forrest... just do'nt understand why i'm always get mistaken for gandalf or moses... :confused:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
It has been argued that the correct use of walking poles can reduce the weight on the knees by up to 25% going uphill and something like 40% going down. There must also be a benefit from reducing impact on the knees and hips, so something to think about in your 20's, before your knees get to the condition where walking with any load whatsoever comes with the acceptance of discomfort or pain!

Bill.

Where were you 20 years ago Bill when I needed this advice ;) I do use a stick now, but really wish I had when I was younger. But I guess trashing your ankles in a motorbike smash probably doesn't help these days either. Hoe hum, there's still hills out there to walk and woods to camp in.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Jackcbr,
20 years ago mate, I was running down hills with full kit trying to get to some pub or other before last orders.

As my Auld Man used to say, "One of these days you'll meet yourself on the way back!" Quite an existentialist for a coal miner! :cool:

Bill.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I currently use a cheap poundland walking stick that doesn't collapse but is fairly light and cheap! I would prefer to use those telescopic ones but I can't afford the better quality ones and all the cheap ones I've seen break while still in the shop!

I don't know who might be reading this at the moment, but as of this weekend (17th July) your local Debenhams is having one of it's blue cross slash the prices of everything days, weekend...week? My wife has just reported to me that this includes the Craghoppers concessions in the stores also...and as it happens (I am looking for a couple because of my back giving me some jip), they have a selection of sticks reduced from £30 to £10. Might be worth a quick look Asa

Cheers

Sack

PS. I know that they won't be as good as the old Leki sticks but they should be worth a look.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm finding I use a stick more and more. Might be my age, but I just find them so useful for reaching things, making impromptu shelters, and generally posing as a country boy whilst looking like a townie in disguise.

My short stick is some larch (I think) that I just found one day and stuck a ferrule on. It got shortened when I dropped a rucksack on it in the car. Accordingly I cut a fresh 'staff-size' one from Hornbeam, and that one is my preferred stick these days, as it will stand up to anything!

I use the commercial walking poles less and less.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have used a stick for several years now, I also used one regularly in my twenties due to knee problems so I have had a variety. My preference is for anything that does not look orthopedic.

In town I wouldn't use anything "bushcrafty" but out in the "sticks" the way to go is to make your own. I don't use a "pole" just your standard stick length, but I guess that is habit and convenience more than anything else. I might give it a try if I could find something straight enough but I have to confess I might feel a little bit ridiculous doing so in the face of modern technology.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I don't know who might be reading this at the moment, but as of this weekend (17th July) your local Debenhams is having one of it's blue cross slash the prices of everything days, weekend...week? My wife has just reported to me that this includes the Craghoppers concessions in the stores also...and as it happens (I am looking for a couple because of my back giving me some jip), they have a selection of sticks reduced from £30 to £10. Might be worth a quick look Asa

Cheers

Sack

PS. I know that they won't be as good as the old Leki sticks but they should be worth a look.

Right, I'm off to town tomorrow with the good credit card, let's see what we end up with. Cheers for the heads up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE