Walking adventure - Kit help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Keep it light including the food and try and eat in pubs along the way.
Definitely go with trail shoes

Sleeping bag I prefer my 90 pattern army sleeping bag not bothered by the size, a good night sleep will be important.

Hexi stove and mug and all the kit others have said

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For footwear i'd look at a light short boot something like salomon ultra mids or the like
If you arent used to walking off road with a load wee bit of ankle support might be wise

So are you using a bivvy bag as well or just a tarp?

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
A small compact umbrella for extended walking trips for me.if it rains constantly for a few days you’ll be glad you had it.i like too trap the handle of mine behind the breast strap of my rucksack and rest the rim on my rucksack covering my head leaving my hands free.not very bear grylls n people laugh when they see it but I’m the one laughing at the end of a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I would definitely look at the size/weight of the essentials, like a sleeping bag. Look at a hikers website, and weight is a huge deal, so down bags tend to be favoured. Yes, they cost more, but they last longer, and are much warmer for the weight/bulk than synthetic. The army use synthetic for understandable reasons, but a big one is cost. Civilians dont have to think about cost quite so much, because they have other priorities.

Since budget is tight, do your research on the market, find what sort of rating bag you will need/will suit, and then look on Ebay, sales on this site, etc. You might snag a bargain. Same goes for inflatable pad (Alpkit is a good baseline for new ones). Always think about weight/bulk, and the most cost effective way of minimising that - your carrying everything on your back, and every extra gram will be felt double on your feet.

A smaller load means a smaller pack. And as someone said, a proper hiking pack is essential - Ebay will bring up a perfect decent Berghaus or Lowe Alpine 65L pack with a good back system, and if you do your research and get lucky, for a good price, perhaps £50 or less. They will be vastly more comfortable than a cheap pack (although the £50 Hi Gear 65L pack from Go Outdoors has a proper back system) or a surplus bergen.

Hikers say that you should spend the most money on the essentials - a decent waterproof, boots, pack, sleeping bag and tent - and making them as light/warm/efficient as possible in the first place is the most effective way to spend your money.

Reactions: Janne
Jan 16, 2016
I wouldn't bother with a second hand 60L backpack.

Just have your mate keep his Bergan and try and get you one.

You don't have to fill it or take the rocket packs on the trip and if he's still got his then it probably fits him like a glove already.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I wouldn't bother with a second hand 60L backpack.

Just have your mate keep his Bergan and try and get you one

Army bergans are relatively heavy and not very comfortable - thats why there is a fair sized industry devoted to modding them. They dont have a proper back system, and same even have the waist straps cut off, which is madness. For about the same amount of money, you can do much better on the civilian market, and be more comfortable into the bargain.

On the other hand, you can buy a Hi Gear 65L rucksack with a half decent back system for about £50 in Go Outdoors, and if you shop around on Ebay, possibly something that was was using Berghaus's top of the range back system from 3-5 years ago for not much more.

Anyone can be uncomfortable.

Jan 16, 2016
Army bergans are relatively heavy and not very comfortable - thats why there is a fair sized industry devoted to modding them. They dont have a proper back system, and same even have the waist straps cut off, which is madness.
Anyone can be uncomfortable.

Horses for courses.

Had mine for around 15 years, nothing seems to fit my back better. Being buried with it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
All this talk of weight is a very important consideration. However it has cost me a bloody fortune over the years lol

I think a good idea would be to give a ballpark weight figure to give the op some idea of how heavy is heavy. Then maybe he can review kit choices and where to spend his money a little better?

For me sub 10kg is ok, lighter is better. But 12-13kg is doable without it being back breaking

(Tbh i stopped actually weighing stuff ages ago and i'v not been out for a while so take those weights with a pinch of salt)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Up to 20 kg is perfect for me. I find that after a couple of days you do not feel the weight anymore. Muscles get used to it.

But walking in a such heavily populated area as UK you should not need to carry more than 2 meals with you. So with correctly selected equipment you should be able to get down to 10 - 15 kilos.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
About 12-14kg for 2 or 3 days for me with a 40l pack. Sorta at the point where i dont really see how to lose any more weight without moving on to the real expensive lightweight gear. But 12-14 is a good weight i think, easily lifted one handed and not felt too much on your back.

I looked at the army bergans before because i like the exterior pockets, but any i looked at weight 2 or 3 kilos empty, so thats something to consider.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
About 12-14kg for 2 or 3 days for me with a 40l pack. Sorta at the point where i dont really see how to lose any more weight without moving on to the real expensive lightweight gear. But 12-14 is a good weight i think, easily lifted one handed and not felt too much on your back.

I looked at the army bergans before because i like the exterior pockets, but any i looked at weight 2 or 3 kilos empty, so thats something to consider.

What is the saying? Lbs are cheap oz's are expensive....or something to that effect

I got my baseweight down to 6kg for uk 3 season. But its steadily crept up again just because i'd rather be more comfortable/use harder wearing or cheaper gear.

Saying that though i can still do comfortable overnighters with an 11ltr lumbar pack or weekends with a 30ltr daysack

*edit
And to put the weight of an issue bergan into perspective for non gram counters
Its generally said for a lightweight load you need to keep your 'big three' rucksack, sleeping bag, and tent to a kilo each....so that 3kg bergan 'costs' the same as another persons big three

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
What is the saying? Lbs are cheap oz's are expensive....or something to that effect

I got my baseweight down to 6kg for uk 3 season. But its steadily crept up again just because i'd rather be more comfortable/use harder wearing or cheaper gear.

Saying that though i can still do comfortable overnighters with an 11ltr lumbar pack or weekends with a 30ltr daysack

Out of curiosity, do you have any pictures of your lumbar pack and whats in it?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Don't think i'v got any pics but its a bergans langevann pack
Rough load out

Custom stretch footbox hammock

Custom tarp

JacksRbetter sierra sniveller TQ

custom 3/4 down UQ

Titanium mug cook pot with cone style meths stove
2x Packet cous cous with some jerky to add for meals and a couple of granola type bars for snacks

Sawyer mini water filter

Frogg toggs water proofs

And possibly an ultralight down jacket

a waterbottle pouch does give a little extra space if i want the jacket or any extra bits
Not a complete kit list, just a general idea

If i go up to the daypack (my beloved camelback peakbagger)
I can add things like a cook pot as well as a mug, inflatable lantern, extra food/water/clothes and suchlike

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
You can see most of the gear here if you are interested

And theres a great review of the bergans pack by fire and ice on youtube

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Cheers, will give all that a look, always interesting to see how others manage to get such small sizes and weights.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The single biggest thing you can do to reduce size is go to down insulation, u fortunately is the single most expensive as well!
My light down jacket for example is warmer than a buffalo mountain shirt yet easily fits in a thigh pocket.....the buffalo must be around a 15ltr pack size.
I regard a lightweight down jacket as the backpackers secret weapon, we should all have one. Even a cheap uniqlo is such a useful item.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I think a good idea would be to give a ballpark weight figure to give the op some idea of how heavy is heavy. Then maybe he can review kit choices and where to spend his money a little better?

For me sub 10kg is ok, lighter is better. But 12-13kg is doable without it being back breaking

Yeah - its a very individual thing, and there are loads of different answers. I've certainly spent some money over the years buying stuff that actually was a lot heavier than it needed to be, and if I'd known the market better, I'd have bought better and lighter in the first place - its buy once, buy right, as ever.

On the other hand, prices are generally cheaper than ever before, the net makes things easier to review and purchase, and 2nd hand is a lot easier than it used to be. This is a great book if people do see something 2nd hand - often very little needs to be done to get a bargain.

I think thats another version of the 80/20 rule - 80% of the cost is shaving off the last 20%. Which is what the gram counters tend to end up spending.
And to put the weight of an issue bergan into perspective for non gram counters
Its generally said for a lightweight load you need to keep your 'big three' rucksack, sleeping bag, and tent to a kilo each....so that 3kg bergan 'costs' the same as another persons big three

Yep - an infantry bergan (I'm only bringing that up because it got mentioned) is apparently 3.3kg with side pockets and a yoke. Go Outdoors own-brand OEX rucksack (70L + 10) is about 2kg, with what looks like an OK back system, and is about £55 at the moment. According to this, even the weight of your boots makes a difference, so carrying around extra weight can really make a difference. Once you've bought a pack, tent, or pack, your pretty much stuck with it - so making it as light as possible before you start is much better rather than trying to cut down weight afterwards, even if you can. There is a good reason why my next pack will be an Osprey, albeit on offer!

Same goes for tents - you can buy something sturdy but relatively cheap. But even if you throw a fair amount of cash at it in terms of dyneema guyropes and Ti pegs, your back to the 'lbs are cheap, ozs are expensive' rule. Much better to spend the extra £30 you might have splashed out on Ti pegs in order to save a small amount of weight instead on getting a good deal on a lighter but more expensive tent.

The single biggest thing you can do to reduce size is go to down insulation...I regard a lightweight down jacket as the backpackers secret weapon, we should all have one. Even a cheap uniqlo is such a useful item.

Its not just the weight, the effect on bulk is also really big - a mid layer down jacket can really make a difference to packing. I'm after a ME Arete (the fit is perfect for me and I love my Lightline), but even the cheapo down one for £12 I got from Tesco's is really handy. Decathalon is a good place for low prices, its alwasy worth seeing what your local Go Outdors etc has on clearance, but the Alpkit Filoment is very popular and great value. Its also possible to snag bargains on Ebay - there is a seller who's going Mountain Equipment seconds and samples (just search for 'Mountain Equipment down' and you'll find it), and although its mostly Ronhill at the moment, there have been down jackets like the Gasherbrum, etc at good prices.

With kit, your often throwing money at the problem - you can have it light, good or cheap - pick any two. The clever way to do it is to work out what gets you the most for the least, and have it as light and as good as you can, for less than you should be paying. Other stuff, like pots and pans, can be decent, but you dont have to go crazy, because the difference in weight isn't as important as the bulky big ticket items.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
This isn't a great addition to the thread, and I can't read through all the lists to see if it's been mentioned. Something to sit on, either a lightweight pad or a Helikon lightweight chair. Important I reckon.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Old bones, spot on mate

The weight of your boots absolutely makes a difference, ever had half a cwt of mud clinging to yer boots? Its like being a turn of the century diver!
the first you learn when going ultralight is that nothing 'weighs nothing' every single item you stand up in adds to your overall weight

The best thing i did was go to down. As a hammock camper i'v got TQ and UQ to deal with
The snugpack UQ i got for my dad wouldn't fit in the lumber pack i use on its own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE