walk in the woods (**PICS**)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Hi all, went for a walk around some woods yesterday; heres some things I seen:
(I dont know what most of them are called, so feel free to ID any of them...:))

1. Cuckoo Pint/Arum/Lords and Ladies

2. Dont know this one...

3.Looking up the river, which was quite shallow!

6. now this stuff has been here all year, it was some of the only greenery during the winter months, but I dont know what it is...

10. i was impressed by this beauty!

12. This one reminded me of those amazing deep sea corals - growing on a Scotts Pine...

13. These ones were popping up all over the place!

14. The spores looked brilliant against the green moss...

15. And then this knarly specimen..

17. I took this because it looks like you can see small chippings from where a squirell or mouse has been having a go at it??

18. And then this funny looking thing..

And then the same specimen, the dark line developed on the pores within seconds of dragging a stick along it...

21. and finally..

Sorry about all the pics, thought you lot might just want a flick through them :)

And any ideas of ID'ing any of them do let me know!
Thanks for having a look,
Dan.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
There's some fantastic photos there! I love the shot of the river.

I may be wrong, but 8 and 9 look like a Russula. 20 is some kind of Bolete but not sure which.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
thanks alot everyone!!
I'll get all those names looked up :)

6 looks like wild garlic to me - did you get a sniff of it?
Im quite sure it isnt wild garlic, because the place was jam picked with that stuff a few month ago, and its all gone now..but thanks for the suggestion!!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
6 looks like wild garlic to me - did you get a sniff of it?

Not Ramsoms, I don't think - they will have died off by now. Those things in the pics are a pain in the backside, no idea what they are called though, I do know they are a bugger to cut out of paths etc and grow just about anywhere they can if given half a chance.

Not sure about number 10 being a destroying angel. Without seeing more detail it's hard to be certain - although I'd stay on the side of caution.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Fantastic pics! Looks like you had a ball on that walk!

I find it fantastic peoples knowledge of these plants, and I'm trying to learn as best I can, so thanks for posting and thanks to you all for helping in the ids

Drew

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Cheers guys,

and grow just about anywhere they can if given half a chance.
bang on Nagual, the stuff was everywhere, i would love to know what it is!

is number 3 at planky mill ??
Hey Paul, planky mill's just further up that river, the forest is called Allen Banks & Staward gorge - national trust owned.
Ive been up to try and camp at planky mill before, only to find that they had closed it!

Fantastic pics!
Thanks wleshwhit!! :eek:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Cheers guys,

bang on Nagual, the stuff was everywhere, i would love to know what it is!

Hey Paul, planky mill's just further up that river, the forest is called Allen Banks & Staward gorge - national trust owned.
Ive been up to try and camp at planky mill before, only to find that they had closed it!

Thanks wleshwhit!! :eek:

yea dan the farmer is a bit handy and he tried to stop an argument between some drunken campers and he was the one that ended up in court !!!! cracking spot to get lost in , have ya discovered whittle dean yet ??? a bit closer to home !!!!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE