Walk in the wood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Went a bit snap-happy at the weekend :rolleyes:. It's a good time of the year for seeing things that the bracken swallows up later.

The wood's old and wind-blown, forming all kinds of wonderful shapes.
FP_APR_05.jpg

Shows how tough birch bark is. The wood has rotted away long ago yet this half metre high length of bark is still coping with the wind.
FP_APR_14.jpg

Ferns don't seem to mind where they grow. Come summer the whole mass melts together and you literaly can't see the wood from the trees(or anything else). The ground bracken hits 2-3m high in places and trees look like shrubs from a distance.
FP_APR_13.jpg

Lichens and mosses are everywhere. A SNH survey carried out years ago lists page after page of latin and the bulk of it falls into these catagorys. If anyone can recommend an good ID book it'd be much appreciated as we'd like to start matching names to faces.
FP_APR_15.jpg

FP_APR_16.jpg

FP_APR_32.jpg

FP_APR_17.jpg

FP_APR_18.jpg

The burns are small but they've had a while to eat their was down. Crossing the gorges is always entertaining :rolleyes:.
FP_APR_19.jpg

FP_APR_25.jpg

IDing from bark is a laugh when everything's covered in moss :). At one point we stood among two hazels, three birch, an ash, an oak and a beech and up to 2.5m high they all looked exactly the same.
FP_APR_22.jpg

FP_APR_24.jpg

They look handy. There aren't many burls around funnily enough, only really in shelterd spots, curious.
FP_APR_23.jpg

Long growing fungi like razorstrop and hoof were scattered around. Wish I'd had a camera in september when the ground fungi were in full swing, was a right old nibblefest.
FP_APR_28.jpg

FP_APR_29.jpg

FP_APR_30.jpg

FP_APR_33.jpg

FP_APR_34.jpg

Primroses always seem to be out. They just go on and on. Don't know what these wee red chappies are but they're the next most common at this time.
FP_APR_21.jpg

FP_APR_31.jpg

FP_APR_38.jpg

The shoreline's a pretty dodgy walk(i.e. fun) and is mangled upturned mica-schist with quartz veins. The only sign of man points a handy reference to another :censored: rhododendron(that's what we were out for, the blighters are easier to spot at this time).
The frogspawn in the high freshwater rockpools looked fit to pop anytime.
FP_APR_36.jpg

FP_APR_35.jpg

FP_APR_37.jpg

:D
FP_APR_39.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stunningly beautiful Josh :D Wish I'd been there, it looks so different without the bracken.
I've got some stuff on lichens, mostly for dye though :eek:
(Before I get flamed, I get mine from tree surgeons and foresters who are felling trees anyway.)

Cheers,
Toddy

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
some lovely areas to tarp down there been there a few times myself usually bushcraft and shore diveing around teddy bear reef, three reefs and the sound testing station. beautifull area hard to found dry wood or it was the last time i was down there.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Josh, nice photos by the way,thought this book might be of some interest to you for I'Ding lichens and things.Try Roger Phillips Grasses,Ferns,Mosses&Lichens, ISBN 0 330 25959 8

Its a good book, i got mine in Carlisle for £8 half the rrp.

Hope thats of some help mate cheers.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, I miss it too and I've only been back for three days :(.

Thanks for the tip Stuart ;) . Looks the part, Amazon are doing a not bad offer so that's it ordered.

Must see your colour charts sometime Toddy. Has anyone suggested an article for the mag to you? (hint, hint)
While this whole area is under a hefty conservation order and is stictly look but don't touch there's no harm in knowing what to do with the things you're IDing, in fact it helps the ID process as it raises interest.

I've heard there's some good diving Scally, and we see folk out sometimes as we're driving round. When the weather picks up a bit we'll be taking the snorkling gear for gathering shellfish. Agree that finding dry just-about-anything is tricky - dry isn't a word that we use often other than "going to have to dry our gear again". :rolleyes:

New camera, guilty as charged Cyclingrelf, but this's what I got it for so it'll not be the last photo frenzy. :)

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Those are magnificent, if you can excuse the theft of copyright one is now my desktop background. Looks like wonderful country, it reminds me alot of parts of the coast in North Devon that look alot like that... and suffers its fair share of rhododendron.

I think the little red flowers you found look like whortleberry. If you return in late summer you're in for a tasty little snack - they're just like blueberries, if not nicer. Exmoor has its fair share too, especially near the coast in similar locations.

Ben

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Brilliant pictures. One could take a lovely shower under that fall if noone was around. And that spawn looks ace, like a purse of magik nestled in the pool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE