Waiting to flood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So, the day the Winter Moot started last year which was near enough the same time as now we got flooded, hadn't happened in the 12 years before that we've been here, and no indication from talking to the locals it had happened before that...

Today I'm expecting it to happen again, it may not but there's a lot of water around us and it's getting deeper. We've just spent 3 hours lifting everything we can, mostly in the garage and sheds because they're at a lower level and they took the brunt of the flood last year.

I honestly thought that it would be something we might expect again in a few years not not year after year...

Umm, I thought i'd posted this earlier, must have got distracted!

Water's gone down a bit now, it was within inches of coming through our place. Hopefully all will be well now as we've not got heavy rain forecast for another few days...

Anyone else struggling with water levels?

• Sad
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Only water trouble we've had was discovering a fast dripping leak from our water meter Thursday morning, very wet carpet in the downstairs loo and hallway. Thankfully fixed that evening by the water company as it was their asset leaking.

Fingers crossed for you Tony that the water continues to recede.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
No, but weirdly my garden and the fields near me flooded but this year we have had more rain and they didn’t??

they don’t usually flood, we have been in the house 10 years and it’s never even been boggy before, but last year it was flowing out the field onto the road and then into my garden!

if it’s that much of a repeating issue it might be worth you getting flood barriers for the garage door and other house entry apertures?

down at bosham near me the high tides flood a few of the houses - well they don’t because they have waist high walls around them and these metal barriers they drop into the gate apertures, sealed bottom and edges with rubber. 2 foot of water one side of the wall and none the other! A lot of them have them on their doors aswell

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
No but last time Carlisle flooded my daughters house was flooded.
The water came upto just under worktop height, the stuff lower than that was ruined.
We'd lifted a fair bit of stuff upstairs and put some of the more expensive furniture up on dining chairs or coffee table. We didn't anticipate the water getting as high as it did.

On the night it flooded her and I went round Carlisle watching where it was going and oddly enough we both had a good laugh about her ever worsening predicament. Gallows humour I guess.
She's very practical and there was nothing more we could do so we just made the best of a bad thing.

Fortunately for her the house was rented so after living with us again she just moved on.

Now, I'm a carpenter and have worked in a lot of floodhouses.
Somthing to remember.
If the walls are dot and dab plasterboarded the insurance assessors only get the builders to remove it upto 500mm above the water level.
In many cases this means the new plasterboard joint is partway up the wall and often cracks. It looks crap and even the builders don't like doing it this way, we much prefer to take it off right upto the ceiling where its a natural joint anyway.

Make sure they don't do this, its a disaster.
I'll add to this as I remember things.

Reactions: Toddy and dwardo

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I thought about you having to go through it again - I thought about calling but didn't in case you were busy bailing or lifting stuff.
I've had water issues by proxy, had to do some mechanic-ing to our water pump which had worn out over the last twenty years since I replaced it last time. Managed to find a place selling service kits which I hope will have sorted it out - though I know better than to say it is fixed already, because it'll take a few days before I'm confident that it needs no further spannering!

I hope the water recedes in good time - is there anything you can do to dredge the brook?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've had a few floods so we're fairly well versed on them now, although the worst ones were in our last place, not this one...

All good here now, it's all gone down about 3 feet, still a lot of flooding about but we're all good. There's a mill down the road, they got his really badly, all the rivers round here have burst, it's lovely to see when you don't have to deal with it. We went for a walk earlier and there's an awful lot of water around.

Not much rain now for a few days so I think that's going to be the scare over and done. I'll be building a block wall this year with a nice solid gate and a slot for a board. Then I'll never have to worry again!!
I thought about you having to go through it again - I thought about calling but didn't in case you were busy bailing or lifting stuff.
I've had water issues by proxy, had to do some mechanic-ing to our water pump which had worn out over the last twenty years since I replaced it last time. Managed to find a place selling service kits which I hope will have sorted it out - though I know better than to say it is fixed already, because it'll take a few days before I'm confident that it needs no further spannering!

I hope the water recedes in good time - is there anything you can do to dredge the brook?

Hope the service of the pump is good for another 20 years mate goodjob

Reactions: Toddy and MrEd

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
No flood related problems for me, I also live on a hill. That said, this year I have seen water in local places where I've never seen it before. I blame the new housing developments and solar farms springing up all over the pace.

Glad to hear the waters are subsiding Tony.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well Tony - Llechryd Bridge is flooded out, the Cych valley has some major water issues, Ffynone waterfall is at the wildest I have ever seen it and a lot of the roads around Boncath are more like rivers or ponds - so if you ain't flooded yet you are doing OK!
I hope you stay that way :)

mimozine

Jan 26, 2021
north yorkshire
where my wife used to live in york flooded bad. never quite got to here house luckily but the only access road would be 6 foot underwater far too often for comfort. but if there is one universal truth if there is a badly flooded road there is at least one idiot who is sure he can drive through it.

where we live now is very close to the river nidd, but we are at the top of a gorge and its at the bottom.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Sorry you're being troubled by flooding. I'm from Hull and was there for the floods of 2007. It was a bit of a freak situation, but the local government built some lagoons afterwards and I don't think there have been any floods since.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE